what kind of cloth won' t scratch or cause lint when cleaning my gun and oiling it

• Thread starter Thread starter BrianBeretta
  • Start date Start date
B

BrianBeretta

Whenever i clean my gun it ends up full of lint, right now i use militec that i place on a patch to wipe a light film on the gun, this causes lint to stick on the gun. Whats a good cloth to use instead of a patch, also i know your supposed to leave a light film of oil on the gun, and i know this casues the lint to stick, so could i be applying to much?

See if you have a clean rag dealer in your area. You can buy what they call washed double knit(t-shirt material) in 10 and 25 lb boxes.

Remove from the box and save the box for reuse. Run the rags thru the washer then the dryer 2 times. It is now about as lint free as you can find and will not scratch the finest finishs. Stuff the rags back into the dispenser box you saved.

Some of the rags will be great, some not so great in size and shape. But they all will give you good service and for about $1 a lb you throw them away when dirty.

DO NOT try and save a few bucks by runnning a dirty set of rags through your washing machine. The other half of your marrage will kill you when she puts some of her nice blouses in the washer and they come out grease stained.

A 25 lb box will last for ages if you don't get carried away and use them to clean everything in sight.

Just my 2cents worth :)

I use strips of old 100% cotton T-shirts or underwear. Very little lint, and after a life of being worn & washed, VERY soft.

A cloth in and of itself won't scratch a gun finish, either. It's dust & dirt & crud that's either embedded in the cloth, or is present on the gun's surface when you clean.

I use the best old standby there is. Old cloth diapers. But that's only when I put the gun up for awhile. When it's a daily carry piece, I wipe it down every night with a Birchwood/Casey Silicone cloth. Works very well and causes neither of the problems you mention.

I use new chamies (poorly spelled, but no dictionary handy) like you use on your car. They hold the oil and work great with no lint. Put one in a plastic soap dish (like for camping) and it will work great for years. I have one for hoppes #9, one for CLP and one for miltec (all color coded).

For general use in cleaning, old t-shirts and flannel shirts work as well as anything. For lightly oiling the exterior surface of firearms, I don't use a cloth at all. I use a natural bristle shaving brush. Put a few drops of oil on the bristles and you can reach all of the nooks and crannies. No lint either.

Rosco

I go to WalMart and in the cosmetic department they sell tubes of 100% cotton discs about 1 1/2" - 2" in diameter. These little round discs are about 1/16th" thick. You can get a tube of about a hundred for a dollar (or less). If they happen to be on sale stock up with $5 or even $10 worth. Buy the ones with the flat sides *NOT* the QUILTED sides. I prefer Johnson and Johnson brand.

These things are intended to be used for removal of make-up. Don't tell the clerk what you are using them for, it spoils the fun. I use a disc once and then throw it away.

5 tubes might last a year.

Peter is right. Chamois is the best. You can get an automotive wipe-down Chamois (shah-me is the pronunciation)
at a parts store / Wally-World. The BEST!
Bob

Back