What kind of ammo loadout?

What 12 gauge ammo loadout for home defense?

• Eight 000 buckshot shells

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Eight 00 buckshot shells

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Eight Number 4 buckshot

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • First six fired 000, last two fired slug

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First six fired 00, last two fired slug

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • First six fired Number 4, last two fired slug

• Eight slugs

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Empty, just use shotgun as a bat

• Other: please specify

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

ATN082268

With a pump 12 gauge shotgun with bead sights for home defense, what eight 2.75 inch shells would you put in the magazine tube?

My HD shotgun is loaded with Federal #1 Buck. More pellets than 00, less risk of over-penetration. It's done exceedingly well in tests and reviews over the past few years.

Mine does not hold 8, so I have to get by with 5...........;)I have had #2 then 00, 00 then 000, and other assortments, depending on what was handy. Since I do not expect to have a Ferguson moment where I live, I wouldn't want the unwieldiness of that many rounds up front anyway.

Looking at the poll numbers, I was somewhat surprised to see variations on a Number 4 buckshot load-out be so popular. Number 4 was the required load for our duty shotguns for my 33 years as a full time cop with a big Dept, but pretty much all of us - at the time - complained that we'd rather have 00 buck like most every other agency surrounding us. Mine at home still gets loaded with Number 4 because that's what I have, but I always thought my Dept (and me, now) were outside the "mainstream" loading up with Number 4. Apparently not.

I buy the Olin Military grade 00 2 3/4 , the Remington 3" Magnum 00 and Remington rifled slugs . All are reasonable priced and I practice tactics with them to know what to expect .

Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept used #4 buck for YEARS. It performs well. As a LE duty load i think OO buck is a better choice. But for a HD load the #4's will give slightly less penetration and better pattern density.

home

At the front of my career, the agency, along with a number of other Federal outfits as well, had #4B described by policy as the approved buck load. About mid career, that got changed, again, along with most other outfits, to OO buck. If one was going to load a PATROL gun with buck, OO buck would be it for me.

The #4B was not much of a penetrator. I watched a full size car door take a load at about 15-20 yds, perpendicular to the shooter, at a training session (1984-85?), window up, and not a pellet made it through, and about half did not even make it through the outer sheet metal. There were also reports that heavy winter clothing was limiting penetration as well at longish shotgun ranges too. All that, and the fact that we were not issued carbines at the time, convinced me to load my shotgun with slugs for patrol work in the #4B years.

But for a HOME gun, used in the interior, garage, driveway (?), against threats exposed and wearing temperate clothing, I think #4B would work just fine. One of my house guns is so loaded. As I expect it my be grabbed for use against a marauding coyote as well, that added pattern density is a plus, as OO B gets very thin from open chokes much past 20 yds.

I've wondered about the hevi shot T buck as well, but the stuff is expensive and not available (to best of my knoweledge) in 2.75" shells.

Call me old fashioned, but the idea of several different types of ammo in the mag and chamber still seems plausible.
Birdshot, followed by buckshot, followed by slugs.
For strictly home defense, all birdshot isn't a bad choice for most of the types of situations we would be likely to encounter.
Like handguns, multiple and fast follow ups might be required, but the neighbors should be safer.

I can see the logic of mixing different ammo types... starting with loads less likely to overpenetrate and work your way up to more serious stuff as you go through the magazine. Plus, birdshot may stop a situation with less risk of being lethal, which could make legal matters simpler following a defense situation.

But for my own purposes, I have the mindset of 'if a situation calls for me to use a gun, I want to choose ammo that I think will be most effective from the first shot to the last.' My top choice would be all #1 buck, but it's easier to get 00 where I live. As far as limiting collateral damage, I figure a more effective round could mean fewer shots, which could go a long way toward reducing risk to innocent people or property. Finally, for in-the-home distances, I can't think of many situations in which a slug would do anything better than buckshot... maybe if body armor was involved?

Last edited:
Back