What kind of ammo do you swear by and why in .40 S&W?

JJCook

As the subject says, what kind of .40 ammo do you use and swear by?

In my HK, I use nothing but Corbon and Talons.

Corbons because they are light and fast as heck.

Black Talons because they are heavier and hold up better than some.

I am prepared to "hear it" about my choice in Talons!

Thanks.

JJC

Speer GoldDot 180 grain. Because the bullet holds together better than Golden Sabre (no jacket seperation). 180 gr. because i want the heaviest bullet I can get in any given caliber. For me, the .40 S&W is fast and snappy enough in that configuration.

As for Black Talons, I think they're great. I've got some on hand in .45 caliber. Haven't seen any around here in .40 caliber. I could buy cases of .45 and .357,but they run about $1.40 per cartridge. Pricey. But the recovered bullets are very impressive.

Federal HyrdoShok

One reason is because of their good reputation. Another is because they feed flawlessly for me. Their shape resembles that of ball ammo until you get inside the HP.

Speer Gold Dot 165gr. out of my Sig P226 (full size). I would trust ProLoad Gold Dot just as much as Speer.

I second TCW's post. I like Gold Dot bullets because the jacket is plated on to the bullet and will not seperate from the lead core. I have fired gold dots into phone books and water jugs and the resulting slug shows excellent weight retention after expansion.

In my .40s, I shoot the 155STHP, 155XTP or the 155jhp Federal Hi-Shok (not Hydra). All 3 are accurate, reliable and offer good velocity.

I wouldn't object to a Gold Dot loading from Speer, ProLoad or Georgia Arms though. That GD is a great round, outta my 10mms it has proven to be accurate and an aggressive expander.

Derek

155 grain quik-shok and 180 SXT.

I'm a fan of bullets that fragment on impact (hi-val, cor-bon). But I am very impressed with talons I've seen pulled from gel.

Where did you get yours at?

I personally like the Gold Dot - When I started looking at different PD ammo I "heard" quite a few people talking about it and did some research on my own.

1) The construction of the bullet ensures no fragramentation and good, consistent expansion see http://www.speer-bullets.com/gd/gdcontent.html for details.
2) Good results in FBI testing see http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/ammodata.htm
3) Personal testing - I shot (into a water barrel) several brands of Gold Dots (Speer, Pro Load and GA Arms) in different calibers and bullet weights. All slugs were recovered, intact , and all had consistent, good expansion.

Now for my daily carry ammo I use GA Arms 165gr in .40 caliber. Their ammo is half the cost of Speer or Pro Load so I’m not reluctant to shoot it often.

BTW – I choose the 165gr for the .40, primarily after reading an article on the .40 and why not to use 180gr bullet on Todd Greens Calibers site http://greent.com/40Page/ .

-- Chuck

Drundel....

I got 10 boxes at a gun show in Dallas last year. In seeing that the boxes clearly stated "Black Talons" on them, they had to have aged a bit over the years. I then tested a few boxes through my HK at the range with no problems or malfunctions whatsoever. They weren't cheap!

In 40S&W I like COR-BONs 40-135. It's very effective according to real stats. It's very accurate for me....Glock 23 and S&W 4013. It has virtually NO muzzle flash...just a few sparks! Their quality control is excellent and it is available almost everywhere you buy defensive products! If I was in law enforcement and needed a litle more penetration, I'd go with their 150 gr round. It seems to be very similar except the penetration is a little deeper.

ok, interested in a cz75 in 40auto
read on some other forums about how the 40 is a little less accurate than its smaller buddy the 9mm
have any ofyou guys found this to be true?
not wanting to start a caliber war, just want to hear how much accuracy is lost (if any) with pistols chambered for 9mm cs 40auto (refuse to call it by that other name)
thanks for any of the info

Just bought a box of the Winchester 155 gr STHP to give them a try. Usually I carry Remington Hi Shock.

I like the 155 grain as most loads that I practice with (Georgia Arms) are very consistent and have found that the 155 gr Feds shoot to the same point.

Tog,

I have a CZ 75 B in .40 auto. It replaced a Ruger P94 in .40. The CZ is much more accurate in my hands than the Ruger ever was. I will not be able to compare it to it's 9mm brother until next week when my new CZ 75 B gets here. :)

--
Mike

JJCook:

Nice. I was at one at the George R. Brown and they were selling for like 30-40 bucks a box (IIRC). A budy bought some one of the auctions and paid 35. I don't think that's all that bad. He wants them because of the name to keep but not to shoot.

Back