What kicks?

jlflegal

I'm interested in military history and am interested in obtaining either a Mauser K98, an M1 Garand, M1 carbine, or an '03 Springfield.

I have fired my brother's M1 carbine, which I really enjoyed, and also his M14 which I really disliked due to the big time kick.

He says all military rifles are this way, is this true for the three I "think" I like?

The bolt actions will kick the most (Mauser K98 and Springfield '03), then the Garand which is not too bad in my view and the pop gun Carbine the least. If you want little to no kick get an AR-15.

But then, the recoil in a military rifle is half the fun!

A Russian M44 would be perfect for all of your kick needs. Fire 5 rounds through that and the rest will feel like an AR.

Of those you list, the Garand would be the easiest on your shoulder. It has more kick than the carbine, but it won't abuse you either.

Get the Garand. The gas action absorbs and moderates the recoil. After shooting my Garand, the Springfield feels like a mule.

From my shooting, my impression is from least to most: M1 Carbine, Garand, Springfield M1903, Kar-98 (in 7.92mm or 8mm Mauser), with the M1903 and Kar-98 being almost interchangable depending on specific load. Also, the longer, heavier WW1 vintage 98s will soak up some recoil.

While not mentioned in preceding messages, I find the .303 British in rifles other than the No.5,Mk1 Jungle Carbine is not bad. My wife specifically prefers that one when we take the military rifles out. Maybe it is the British buttplate design.

I laughed like hell (LMAO) over the Russian M44 comment. They are pretty evil in recoil and blast. The Spanish FR-8 in 7.62x51 is also quite a beast, and may be worse with fierce recoil and muzzleblast accentuated by an HK type flashhider. (No flames on whether the FR-8 is safe with .308 or 7.62 NATO. This is a valid debate, but not here.)

Good luck on your eventual choice.

Yeah, the bolt action will kick the most. Semi autos the least. M1 Carbine is a small caliber for a rifle(.30 carbine is made in Automag pistols) so that would kick the least.

If you think the M14(M1A) kicks "big time", you'll be limited to pretty small calibers. I'd suggest the AR-15, since it's a real military caliber with a very small recoil. Probably pretty similar to the .30 Carbine, but a much more effective round.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jlflegal:
M14 which I really disliked due to the big time kick.[B/][/quote]

OMG I have been less than sober for I don't remember any kick from the 14 (Garand either for that matter)

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited May 23, 2000).]

As others have stated, the bolt action guns have a pretty good kick. If you want an older military bolt action for shooting, I concur with the idea of an Enfield rifle. They don't have near the kick of these other bolt actions. You could also get a Swedish Mauser. They are chambered for a smaller cartridge and are a joy to shoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:
You could also get a Swedish Mauser. They are chambered for a smaller cartridge and are a joy to shoot.[/quote]

That is so true the 6.5X55 is one sweet little round, but we must not forget the 7x57 Mauser too. Hardly any recoil and pleasant so shoot.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

The worst wuppin' I ever got was from an Enfield #5 (Jungle Carbine). Bloody nose, black eye, mouse on cheek. You know the story. It tells you something when a military rifle comes GI with a recoil pad!

The Swedish Mausers are SWEET.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Back