What is YOUR state doing for the new Instant Check?

Rob Pincus

Tennessee is going against the grind and changing over to an instant check on NOVEMBER 1st! WE arte anticipating a really
ugly backlog when the system goes up in a couple of weeks.

Whats worse, regardless of the Smith ammendment, the state IS going to charge a fee ($10.00) AND they CAN keep
records...
This is gonna suck!

Virginia has had this instant check for years. It is a good thing - makes buying a hand gun easy. No waiting period. I love that. Only takes an extra 5 minutes at the most.

I wonder how stable the instant check system will be? Golly, we all know how those computers can be cranky and crash.

While its down, guess what? NO GUN SALES!

Okay, the reason I started this thread was because a good friend of mine is spreading a theory that the states new instant check system is "set-up" to automatically kick out anyone who shares a certain number of indicators with a felon. These would then get put into a "pending file" and there is NO limit to the amount of town the state can hold your purchase.

The theory runs like this:
If you score enough points you get kicked into pending: If your name matches a felon's you get kicked out. If you last name and your birthdate match, you get kicked out. These I can understand. Now this theory gets more interesting in that, if your first name and birth city and hair color match a felon's you might score enough points. Or, maybe it is you birthdate, city, hair color and eye color.

I figure he is exagerating and it won;t really be any worse than the first couple of examples I gave above, yet he claims he has gotten this from a friend of his at TBI, so I wondered if anyone knows the details of who these things are set up...

His hypothesis makes sense, since the descriptive data fields would have to be assigned a value for the search strings to return any useful data. Otherwise it would mean checking every hit for comparable fields.

yeah, it makes sense, otherwise I wouldn't have followed up on it. What makes more sense to me is that certain fields would have to match before a form could be kicked out: last name or ss#. It is hard for me to beleive that birth date and hair color could be valid reasons for holding up a purchase.

I was hoping someone might have some details on how their systems work, like in VA, where it has been in effect for awhile. there must be some studies somewhere on the grounds that have been used their to hold up purchases, eh?

Rob, Mykl-
Florida has had an instant check for some years. As someone who was invariably "bounced" for an NCIC data error (prior to the CCW overrride), I had to mail a form in to the state each time I bought a weapon. It never took them more than a week to get the turnaround from the FBI and provide me authorization.

Don't misunderstand; I'm not necessarily in favor if the Instant Check....though I would be if I though we could keep ATF from assimilating and compiling the info. I provide this as an example of the way the instant check *should* run.
Rich

I know of a few reasons people were refused in the PA instant check. I was standing there when they were explained the reason.

1) Man named Bill Smith - too many similar hits.

2) Man's name came up at previous out of state address and required form.

3) Man was informed that his SSN came up with match to another name.

From what the shop owner told them is, they needed to fill out a form.

That same day, 2 hours earlier, there was a line of four people waiting for a computer problem to be resolved.

Each of my purchases (and my father's) always went through in 5 min.

Kevin
-=-=-

In my case it was Mykl's fault. Small world, huh?

Back some 20+ years ago, Mykl sold me a Mossberg pump for $40. One of us
wink.gif
cut the barrel down to a legal 18+ inches. Travelling back to CT from Omaha, I happened thru the People's Republic of NJ. A traffic stop ensued, due to the loss of the license plate for the bike trailer I was towing. Naturally, I'd packed everything I owned into the car and couldn't immediately find my license or registration.

A fair minded NJ State Trooper said, "Could you step out of the car, sir. Are you transporting any drugs or weapons, sir?". I indicated an unloaded, breech open, 12 gauge in the trunk and the fact that I was high on life. Search ensued, cuffs followed. At the Burlington County jail, I was booked on a weapons charge....seemed the officer felt the Serial Number had been filed off the weapon and I was too much of a newbie to know that Mossberg didn't serial # shotguns manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act of 196-whatever.

4 days in jail over a 4th of July weekend, one overworked Public Defender, one court appearance, and one Nolo plea to "Disorderly Conduct" later and I was free. Weapon confiscated because it wasn't in a "locked" container. Hmm, thought that's what the trunk was?

Anyway, the NCIC computers to this day show it as a weapons violation, "Adjudication Unknown". The normal FBI check brings it up as a non-firearms misdemeanor.

Moral of the story? Don't ever give Mykl $40!

Rich

Georgia has had it for a while (quickly after the Brady Bill became the law.) It seems to have worked well and is preferable to a waiting period.

Maryland is going with NICS for long guns but staying with 7 day wait and own background check on handguns. They want to collect the $10.

Back