What Is Your Favorite Gun To Take To The Range?

mk70ss

We all take numerous different guns each time we hit the range. Almost every time I go, I like to shoot my S&W model 18 .22 revolver. What is the one gun you like to take and shoot?

Beretta Nano, Ruger LCR9mm. Beretta Pico. They get a lot of ammo down range. Usually weekly. (Pre-riot days) One Nano quickly got up to almost 15,000 rds in one year before being stopped by ammo shortage (Mar 2020). Was really hoping to see how far I could take the mild shooting Micro. Favorite 22.cal Plinker/Trainer, the LCR22.

Last edited:
I always take a 1911 with me, not always the same one. I love the platform and a range trip feels incomplete unless I put some rounds through one.

Outside of my EDC which always goes, top three for me over the last couple years have been my Coonan Classic, S&W Model 41 5-1/2” and my three alpha S&W Model 52-2.

I shoot many different handguns because I just love to do so. But it’s pretty safe to say that if no .38 Special went “bang” then that trip didn’t involve me.

I can’t say just one, but if you don’t mind I can go two. These are tied, my CZ75B SA, and my Ruger GP100 4”. I guess if only one it would be the GP since I’m an old revolver guy at heart and hate chasing brass. Plus the option of both .38sp and .357mag is a big advantage.

I have mostly been shooting 1911's. My current favorite is a Les Baer commander in 38 Super. It has more power than a 9mm yet less recoil than a 45. Next favorite is a Nighthawk 45 Thunder Ranch.

I usually begin with one of my .22 rimfire's to warm up. Then I go to one of my 9mm to step it up a bit. From there I go to one of my .45acp's, then one of my 10mm's and lastly one of my .41mags.

Regardless of what I'm shooting on a particular day I always have a 22 rifle along to shoot while barrels are cooling etc.
Anschutz 1712

Tikka T1x mine has the tan pistol grip

I usually don't take multiple guns to the range. The range is so close that I can go often, but with the crunch, I've been cutting back. I'd have to say the most fun to shoot is the CZ BREN 2 MS.

My brace of Ruger® New Model 41 Magnum Blackhawk® revolvers; one 4⅝" and the other 6½". Great guns for banging steel.

I usually begin with one of my .22 rimfire's to warm up. Then I go to one of my 9mm to step it up a bit. From there I go to one of my .45acp's, then one of my 10mm's and lastly one of my .41mags.

I usually go the other way, I start with the big ones, magnums etc., while I'm fresh. Then as time goes on and I get tired and pounded a bit, I switch to the lighter recoiling arms.

I've done it both ways, and found that a bunch of shooting the light stuff first leaves me a bit less than my best for the heavy stuff, but, that's just me.

Stemple SMG, the one done by BRP that’s convertible between.45 and 9mm. Kind of expensive to feed right now, but what a hoot to shoot. (Yes, I have the stamped permission form from Uncle Sam)

It is/was the gun I no longer own..my Walther PPQ M2 5". Since I'll probably never be blasting off 9mm ammo in large quantities again I decided to sell it off and keep only SD guns.

I have a few options, but I always have a .22 handgun with me every range trip. Which type depends on the day. Lately, I've been trying to fix some High Standard Magazines, so the HD Military has been out a few times.

In centerfire handguns, the 1911 platform gets more field trips than any other.

This question is almost the same as 'if you could only own one handgun, what would it be?' That is a question I would hate to have to answer.

I honestly don't know..... I have not had a pistol that has been just plain fun to shoot in a long time. Or maybe I have just been too focused on the training and not been spending enough time plinking.

The one I was just tickled to take to the range was a Ruger GP 100. But I have not had that in years. Never should have sold it.

A WWII Walther P-38 .
Never owned a 9mm Luger untill a few years ago when my WWII Navy vet Dad dug it out of his sock drawer and said " You take this ... I don't need it anymore ". He mail ordered it in 1961 from Klein's Sporting Goods ... we went shooting several times and that kicked off a lifelong handgun interest in me .
Had to find the reloading dies and bullet moulds , bought 50 years ago , and start developing new loads for the old war horse . Dad never shot it much ... I probly reloaded 50 rounds for him ... and he still had them .
I worked up a nice accurate mid range load and take it to the range every time I go ... shoot it and think about Dad ...
Gary

Back