What is Your Favorite Factory 45 ACP Load...

EQUALIZER

...For both practice and defense, and Why?
Please include any specs, ie. velocity, description, that you may have tested. Just want to hear some other opinions.

-Thanks!

Best regards,

eq

[Edited by EQUALIZER on 02-19-2001 at 03:28 PM]

Federal 230gr Hydrashok. I use it both for paper and carry in my Colt Combat Elite. Its not a hot load (I think its around 850fps) and it feeds reliably.

Hydra shok is great, but I also like...

The Remington Golden Saber. They make it in 230 gr, 185 gr, and 185 gr +P in .45acp.

Velocity is 833, and 1042 at 50 yards for the 230gr and 185+P, respectively. Advertized muzzle energy is 391 and 534 ft/lbs for the two loads. I shoot at ice blocks and stacked 2x4 boards alot using both the 230gr Hydra shok and 230gr Golden saber, just from looking at retrieved bullets the expansion is excellent for both rounds but the Saber seems to penetrate further. The only thing I like better about the Hydra shok is that it will maintain a smaller pattern then the Saber. I've only shot the 230gr. load though, mabey the 185gr +P is more accurate?

Corbon 200 gr.Practice I set up a load with 185 gr cast
semi wad cutters that shoot to the same point of aim with recoil about the same.

Favorite?

Don't really have just one...

My G30 has Speer 230gr Gold Dots in it right now, and the 625-4 has some moonclips loaded with the last of my batch of 230gr SXT's.

For personal defense: Federal HydraShok 230 grain.
For range/plinking: Many quality 230 grain FMJs.

Practice: S&B. It is extremely reliable, and very accurate too. Ask Bill Wilson, he recommends it.

Defense: I like Hydra-shoks and ProLoad.

Best,

Bob

230gr Hydrashoks or 230gr Speer Gold Dots. Also like the Triton 230gr +Ps.

I have 230gr Winchester SXTs loaded at this moment.

I do NOT like the Golden Sabers... I bought one box of them and (thankfully) I was checking for feeding and one of the rounds did not fully load into the chamber! All others did, but that kind of set me off to the whole Golden Saber thing.

Federal 230 grain Hydra Shoks.

Reasons:

Very accurate (can double as a target shooting load)
Feeds reliably
Low recoil (IMO)
Great reputation as a fight stopper

It's a Toss Up.
There are many very good loads out there.
Hornady's 200 grain XTP Custom Load is amazing. Federal Hydra Shok 230 - The freaking Excaliber of .45 loads for a full sized auto...
Then there are some nice zippy loads from Cor-Bon and Triton - all high quality.
All good.
There is no Magic Bullet - but all these loads come close.

I'm sticking with Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok for carry. Federal says it should go 850 fps out of a 5" barrel, it does 889.2 fps out of my Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec.

For practice, I load 230 gr FMJs, mostly Winchesters, with 6.0 gr of Unique. This load performs pretty much the same as the Hydra-Shok for fps, POA and recoil. YMMV

Lets Add one More Q:

Have you had problems with any particular brand/wt. of modern ammo, (not what you listed), not feeding well because of profile?

Muchos thanks,

eq

Practice: American Eagle, Sellier & Bellot, or Winchester 230gr. FMJ.
CCI Blazer 200gr. JHP.

Defense: Remington Golden Saber 185gr. JHP.
CCI Blazer 200gr. JHP.
Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr. JHP.

Mine eat anything so far, so I like Win white box for practice since its relatively clean, for carry I like the lighter cor-bons, 165 & 185 gr +P. Have also shot some of the aguila 117gr aluminum HPs, I like the design, they feed very well, although I've only shot about 50 so far. I guess sign me up for the school of crankin them out fast.

Back