What is wrong with my beretta?

Gottagetme1

When looking down the muzzle of my 92fs one can see that the barrel sits at about 5 o'clock in the slide. Looking at it from above you can definitely see the bbl pointing left. Needless to say the gun shoots low and left. I realize that this is a combat pistol and the tolerence is required for reliabilaty, but the gap between the bbl and the slide at the muzzle seems to me excessive, and I can't understand why the bbl does not center in the slide. the barrel can also be wiggled fairly easily with the slide foward.

I would like to keep this gun but at this point it's on my "liquidate for $$$ to buy another Sig" list

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Dave

Contact Beretta and see if they will warranty the fix, which would probably require a replacement barrel and possibly the locking block as well.

You could also look into having a barrel bushing installed into the slide to correct the lock up.

don't worry from what it sounds like there's nothing wrong with your beretta. both my Berettas (92FS and 92G Elite) are the same way and they shoot exactly where i point them. i've noticed this before on my berettas but it does not effect their accuracy at all. no offense but i'm guessing the problem is not the gun but you. are you fairly new to berettas? most people shoot low left when they first get their berettas because they are jerking the trigger. the beretta trigger takes some getting used to before you will shoot it very accurately but after you shoot it for a while you'll see that they're very accurate pistols. have someone else shoot your 92FS that you know is a good shot and has shot berettas before; more than likely it will shoot dead on for that person. if not than there's something wrong with your beretta and it should be sent back to the factory.

Russell92
It shoots low and left for everybody who has shot it.(some much more accomplished shooters than I ) Off the bench, off hand, weaver stance, doesn't matter, low and left. Frankly with the barrel sitting crooked in the slide I'm not sure how it could shoot to POA.
I merit this gun with its ability to eat anything I feed it & not one FTF in over 2000 rounds, however it's accuracy leaves alot to be desired.
Any other thoughts on installing a barrel bushing? Dave

My barrel on my old 92FS rested in the 10 o'clock postion. It shot high and way left. I traded it towards a brand new one, and it's just fine. In fact, it might even be more accurate than my P226. I bought the old one used, so warranty work was not an option. But the trade towards a brand new gun cost me less than a new barrel would have :D

Bushing on slide

I don't think there is enough meat on the front end of the slide for that modification. As to the problem of the BBL. being canted I Would guess it could be one of three things (or a combination therof)

1. Bad fit on the locking lug.
2. bad fit of the bbl.
3. Uneven locking lug cutouts on the slide (very unlikely though).

Also as the the clearance for the bbl at the front end of the slide I would not be overly concerned there. Most if not all have a gap around the bbl.

i don't see how your barrel could point more to the side than mine does since the barrel on my 92FS rests against part of the slide. maybe something else is also wrong with your beretta? i'd sent it back to Beretta instead of installing a bushing. i don't like putting aftermarket parts on guns that i might use for defense and a bushing might effect its reliability.

Russell92
How much tolerance is there between your slide and barrel? Mine is almost 1/16" all the way around if the barrel is centered. Seems like alot to me. I know this is a combat pistol but my Sigs have nowhere near this kind of slop.
Dave

I recall reading (on the berreta forum) that full lock up does not occure until it is fired. Even then, the front of the barrel and slide have not a thing to do with lock up. It all takes place down on the breech end. I know that sounds wacky, but check it out. BTW, my 96 sits at about the same posistion and with pactice it is very accurate.

ehenz is right. The front of the slide (the hood) has nothing to do with lockup or accuracy. Really, the only reason it's there is so they could put the front sight on it. There are 3 important areas of lock-up contact on the 92FS...breechface-to-barrel, locking lug-to-slide, and barrel-to-frame...the barrel rides in rails machined into the frame, and ideally this should be a pretty close fit for good accuracy.

Back