What is up with the Sig P238 Spartan?

Straitshot

About two years ago I bought a Sig Sauer P238 Spartan and Sig was showing the MSRP around $900. I believe I paid around $650 for one I purchased back then online, and I looked for weeks to find one that cheap. Today at the local gun show I saw a new one selling for $450 so when I got home, I looked online and I have found them ranging from $900 to $439. What is the deal? The Spartan has a steel frame instead of the alloy frame which makes it a bit heavier than the other P238 models. That was the reason I purchased it.

Time passed, demand probably decreased, and SIG dropped the price or the retailers dropped the price accordingly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well, what ever the reason I thought $450 was a deal so I purchased another one. I looked on Sig Sauer's web site and they no longer show the Spartan so I guess they have discontinued it. They do show a Spartan II but it has an alloy frame instead of the steel frame.

I have owned both the steel frame and an alloy frame P238 and I like the steel frame because of the added weight. I just shoot it better.

Competition. Since Sig Arms came out with their P238, Kimber released the Micro 380, Colt brought back the Mustang, and now Springfield Armory is selling a Mustang clone.

I have a non-CA version HD and an HD Nickel. I like the steel frames and still long for a 938 HD which has never materialized. I wanted a Spartan but the price was higher than I was willing to pay. Recently, Sig unveiled the Spartan II with aluminum frame and slashed the prices on the original steel Spartans. I finally got one for more than the $450 you saw but a price more in line with other 238s and less than many (under $600). I was told Sig was discontinuing the all-steel models, though I’m not sure about the CA version. I like the alloy 238s but think the steel models are little treasures.

Actually Bud’s Gun Shop is still showing them for $574 cash price.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php?q=Sig+Sauer+P238&type=Handguns

Last edited:
Laz, I too like the alloy frame models but prefer the steel frame models. The one I bought two years ago has been a quality firearm and very reliable. I just shoot them better as they seem to absorb the recoil better. I thought the $450 price on the Spartan was such a bargain I went back and purchased it so now I have two of them. One for each hand. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sig Sauer P238 Spartan-1.jpg
    Sig Sauer P238 Spartan-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
wild cat mccane, it is a Greek phrase "MALON LABE" meaning "come and take them". I guess since it is a Spartan model Sig thought that was an appropriate embellishment. The newer Sig Spartan II model has the phrase on it as well.

I mean, Greek in Greek, Sig Sauer German in English (that's not German), and general English.

I'm not saying it's stupid...but it's not something I'm not getting past as cool :)

Back