what is this worth?

missy

Inactive
Hi, my G-pa got this when his brother passed. He took it to a place that sells guns but they said they had never seen on like it and could not even guess a value. They told him to go online to this site for help, but he does not have a computer. What I need is to know how much he should ask for it and also where is the best place to try to sell it. Thanks for any help. Missy.

attachment.php

gunW.jpg

Looks like a Tingle target pistol. Google Tingle for a plethora of information. There are a couple of guys on this forum that might know what they're going for nowdays, and will probably chime in.

Exceptional !!

Looks like a Tingle target pistol.
It has to be a Tingle as the CVA copy is no where the quality of this. Look it over and see if you can find the name. Usually on the side of the frame. Now, you will find Tingles on GB and by my measure, they bring good money. However, this one would be a cut-above most and should bring more. I'd love to have it. .... ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

According to the schematic and information in the thread linked below, that's a Palmetto target pistol that was made in Italy and not a Tingle target pistol.
Some Palmetto single shot pistols are known for having a non-conventional bore size which means that it may have a tight bore that's not a standard caliber.
Depending on the condition of the bore and accessories it may be worth between $175 - $225.
Selling it for more than that to a collector is possible because it's a good looking gun and some folks might confuse it with an authentic Tingle target pistol which could be worth twice as much as that Palmetto.
But I wouldn't count on selling it for much more than it's worth.
The similar looking CVA single shot pistols sold for about $125 - $150 new.
However the Palmetto does have a nice looking target grip which could add some extra value.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/forum/index.php?topic=735.0

Last edited:
Another step, in the learning curve !!

Good catch, arcticap I only own one Palmetto and other that this one, have only seen two. Guess I'll have to lay down my TC Patriot for a change and do some homework on these. ... ;)

Once again, I thank you and;
Be Safe !!!

arcticap

Am amazed sometimes with people here who have experience and knowledge in areas I simply don't have. THE very reason I like reading these threads so much! :D

Your last post was excellent. I would have never caught that.

Birch

All I did was follow up on Fingers' suggestion above and Google it.
The Tingles seem to have square trigger guards, none showed engraving and others had brass receivers.
Then I came across the thread about the Palmetto and its target grip fit the description.
That's team work!
Despite their reputation, some Palmetto models are really nice. They made a Colt revolving rifle and a nice looking Blunderbuss percussion model that was pretty expensive that Dixie was selling. That pistol could be worth a little bit more if it were really a good shooter and has a nice trigger. The anatomical grip sure could be appealing to someone. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help. I have received several messages from members showing an interest in this piece.I am sorry if I led you to believe that I am selling this for him. I am only supposed to get information and relay it to my Grandpa as he has no desire to embrace technology.Missy

Reference CVA or a real Tingle

Looks like it depends on whether it's a .36 or .44. I should have the loading data for the .44 CVA Prospector that "could" be the same. Since this model and the CVA Prospector, are Tingle clones, perhaps that data, would be applicable. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Do you have one or simular?

Does anybody know what kind of charges were recommended for these?
With all due respect, why do you want to know? Do you have one as well ?

Be Safe !!!

With all due respect, why do you want to know? Do you have one as well ?

Not yet. ;)
Obviously, the more versatile something is, the easier it becomes to justify the purchase. If I could use such a gun as a primary hunting weapon then it would be more valuable to me than if it were limited to relatively light target loads.

And thank you for the additional info on caliber options. I was not aware they were available in .36 cal.

Ask Missy's Gradfather

Does anybody know what kind of charges were recommended for these?

Mr.Guido
Not specific but going for "like-in-Kind". My SWAG on this would be 20,25 and 30, of FFFG. Do not exceed the 30, for safety's sake. May I suggest you request Missy to ask her Grandfather. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

A target pistol like that. I’ll bet somewhere and it’s history there was a very nice shooting box with assessor Rees to a company yet. I am envious.

Back