What is this tapped for?

Get a pitch gauge.

It's more than a guess but these scope base holes are not original to this rifle. No matter as you have plug screws that will help you in identifying the thread. Now all you have to do, is get pitch gauge that any average shop will have. Suspect it will be a #6.-something? I don't think it will be metric. I've had to identify pitch and size when I did not have any screw to go by. ..... :)

Can't tell by the picture but by any chance, has the hammer been bent, to accommodate rear scope bell? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
It was probably drilled for a rail type mount system but could also be used to mount a peep sight or more conventional period sights at different locations. I'm not a black powder hunter but my brother is and in Washington we can't use optical sights. A period specific peep sight is allowed. Most hunters use the buckhorn or "V" rear sight. The local BP club uses only mechanical sights and peep sights are allowed.

As far as i can tell, the hammer is still as straight as it should be. Thank you, I'll admit, mounting systems nooooot my forte. I'm blessed to work mainly with modern rail/side rail stuff. I was confused, cause it already has irons that can be punched out and replaced with a peep style. So I figured a scope, but on super shallow, maybe .3 inch deep mounts? I doubt it will hold a zero after more than a day of moving around

That looks a lot like standard configuration for a later CVA side hammer rifle. If that is a CVA, the holes are drilled and tapped to a standard metric configuration. You should be able to find a one piece or two piece mounts that will match up to it. Usually the hammer was also bent slightly to allow scope use.

Go on line and goggle the Machinery Handbook,

take one screw out and use micrometer / caliper to get the "outside Diameter [OD], check that measurement against the values listed for both the US Standard Machine threads and the US Metric table.

Normally the US thread COULD be either a #6 or #8 diameter or a Matric M3 or M4.

If the barrel is marked with the manufacturer, google that name and call the Customer service to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Back