what is the right primer cap

llriffel

Inactive
I just received a Pietta 1851 navy in 44 cal every where I look it says use the right size primer but nowhere does it give the right size I have tried cci size 11 and size 10 caps with out loading the cylinders they both seam loose and when fired the caps decinagrate right now I am not to trusting in trying thease caps with a load

Both caps will seam a little loose but the one that fits snug to where you can't just simply pull it off with your finger "not a pick or screwdriver" will be your best bet, most times the #10's fit the best for my Piettas but even then I still have to give a little squeeze to the cap to slightly egg shape them so that they fit tight..

As far as the caps disintegrating like you mention, that is normal & will happen 100% of the time when you use them on a loaded chamber.

My Pietta 51 Navy likes the Remington #10 caps just right ....but hard to find . When I use cci # 10 they are ok but have to hit them twice sometimes before they go bang .

You just have to try a few to see which ones work best. CCI #11's are actually a snugger fit on my 1860's than Remington #10's.

BTW, they're supposed to come apart when fired.

Back