What is the quality of guns at Walmart?

antenna

I have often wondered at the quality of guns that Walmart purveys. Are these things seconds, or returns or what. Anyone bought a gun at Walmart? I was looking at a couple of rifles the other day and theprice seemed a little low.

------------------
"Stop forest fires--ban matches."

Guns at Wal-Mart are as good as the brand allows. They sell Remington 870's and I know they are a tough shotgun. Wal-Mart is a volume buyer, therefore they can sell their guns cheaper then the dealers. The downside to this is that they don't have the selection your local gunman has.

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

You can get guns cheaper at Wal-Mart, but don't expect them to have a gunsmith available to fix any minor problems. And don't expect your local neighborhood gun shop owner to fix a gun you bought cheaper at Wally World. He'll probably tell you to take it back to Wally World or send it to a warranty repair station. The rest of the stuff he says under his breath you won't want to hear anyway.

I have purchased several rifles at Wal-MArt and all have been just dandy. The only thing to watch for is if you buy the rifles that were the display models. These have usually been well and frequently handled and should be thoroughly checked out. I have never had any problem with a firearm purchased from Wal-MArt.

Also, give some thought to throwing some business to K-Mart also. They just tossed Rosie O'Donnell out on her ear for her anti-gun views. E-mail them and give them the business so they know they did the right thing! Perhaps then they will increase the stock of firearms they sell.

Sorry, I will getoff the soap box now. ;>

Chad-
Don't appologize! That's the kind of info we need to share. If we don't
1. Support those who support our rights, and 2. Make sure they know why we are supporting them, we will continue to loose ground in the fight to protect our Bill of Rights. If K-Mart is taking a stand for the rights guaranteed by Article II, then we need to not only try to throw business their way (in this case, not just gun business), but write, email, etc to let them know why we are suporting them. The folks out there that work towards the HCI agenda are VERY vocal about there views. If we are silent, we will loose. BTW, don't forget to support your local firearms dealers, as they are putting up with a lot of rules and regulations, even possible litigation, to support us in our passion. Sometimes, you may save a buck by going mail order, but consider that extra buck or so cheap insurance that these guys will continue to be there to provide products and services for years to come. Well, that was a little longer than I had intended, and since I seem to be rambling a bit, I'll stop now. I think you get the idea though...

Everybody is right, the gun manufacturers don't make a "second" line of lower quality to seel through the discount stores (unlike the power tools and hardware). It is the same gun at a lower price due to volume of sales. Keep in mind what bruels said about service if a problem arises, and the fact that the discounters have put a lot of small dealers (who are often willing to order items for a small fee) out of business. As Chad said also, the display guns are "well handled", often scratched or dinged so look them over good. I bought one rifle at a Wallyworld about 8 years ago, my synthetic stocked Savage .270, with sling and scope, on clearance for just a tad over $200. Back then most guys out here wouldn't take a "plastic" stocked rifle if you gave it to them.

I bought a mini 14 for $125 under the regular gunshow price during one of their sales. I don't regularly shop for guns there, but whenever I go in for something else I check out what's in stock....

Unfortunately I don't have any really good gunshops in my area, so I don't feel bad about buying there.

There are tons of gun stores here in Northern Virginia, but this is one of the most expensive areas in the US to live in and the gun stores reflect this like you would'nt believe. I was just curious as to what others might have experienced with their Wal-Mart purchases. The K-ma-part in my area does not sell firearms, so the Wal-Mart is the least expensive place here. I saw a Remington 700 foe $310 last week, with black olymer stock, in .30-06 NIB. They don't sell handguns, though, so I'm at the mercy of the gunman for these. Ammo is dirt cheap at Wal-Mart, though. At my store, here in Fairfax, you can pick up a case (100) 12 ga. shells for $17.00. Not bad. Handgun ammo is pretty cheap, too. Does anyone live in the Northern VA. area in TFL? I'm looking for a good gun store that maybe I don't know about. Some of the hole in the wall stores are the best ones.

------------------

antenna, you need to go to Galyan's in the Fair Lakes area. But I highly recommend leaving all plastic and your checkbook at home!

Galyan's
12501 Fair Lakes Circle
703-803-0300

There are quite of few of us here in the NoVA area. Maybe you can join us on the next TFL Shootfest and Campfest, probably sometime in the spring.

Mal,

Sounds like a plan. I'll visit Galyans this weekend w/o the wife, as she works on Saturdays. :) I know where you're talking about now. It's right by Kohl's on the way to the mall. Would be cool to get together wioth some fellow TFLers. I usually shoot out a Clark Brothers in Warrenton, but I might start going to Bull Run here soon, as it's much closer to me.

------------------

I'm in Bethesda (Navy) and found Galyan's to have great prices, but they can't maintain inventory due to this. Otherwise, I find the gun shows here to be so-so.

Back