What is the point of Pyrodex???

HKP7PSP

I always thought that Pyrodex was not corrosive like black powder. Now I keep on reading that it is just as corrosive and just as hydroscopic.

So what is the point? The only advantage I can see is that it is UPS shippable (I guess that is a big advantage) and less easy to ignite with static.

Am I missing some advantage to Pyrodex?

But now Triple Seven is really non-corrosive and also have more velocity per volume?

Well, for starters, Pyrodex is a lot easier to get. A lot of places that sell powder won't handle black since there are special restrictions on how it can be stored and other red tape is involved. Pyrodex isn't subject to these same regulations. Second is that it isn't as senesitive to shock, static electricity and so forth that can set off black a bit easier. Now as far as shooting goes, one advantage of Pyrodex is that the fouling isn't accumulative like black. It will foul the bore but it won't get worse with each shot so you don't have to worry about swabbing out bores or using a blow tube between shots or watch your accuracy detoriate in short order. Yes it's still corrosive and you have to clean your weapons fairly soon but if you season them, you can put off cleaning for a few days without any problems.
I recently bought my fiancee a '61 Navy with all the gear to go with it but forgot to get her a nipple wrench.:o We fired it at her place and while we cleaned it up that night, the nipples were left dirty until we got a chance to get her a wrench and pull the nipples out the next time I seen her...3 weeks later! :eek: I had thoughts of nipples being rusted in tight but when we pulled them out, there was some white residue on them that cleaned off and there were no traces of rust on the nipples and cylinder, inside and out. :) Be it black or Pyrodex, if you season your guns, you don't have the rusting problems that a lot of people claim to have.

Pryodex in my opinion is more corrosive than black.

It does not have a long shelf life like black.

It is much harder to ignite. Black lights at about 325 and Pryodex at about 750 degrees.

It is more expensive. I pay from $4.50 to $6 a lb for black.

If you use the proper patch lube black can be shot all day and you never have to clean between shots.

I do it all the time. I have burnt as much as a pound of powder and the last shot loaded as easy as the first.

I want to try it, but the only dealer I know of is that place in Maine and they have a 25lb min order. It would cost me over $250 to get it.

Add to this-Pyrodex gives higher velocities with identical volumes. Also, it weighs less than real BP, so you get more volume in 1# of Pyrodex than you do in 1# of BP. That means more shots per pound.
Even shooting conicals, I've never been able to get as many consecutive shots without cleaning when using BP as I have with Pyrodex-regardless of lube used.

If you took Swiss black, Elephant, Goes, Clean Shot, Clear Shot, Pyrodex, Triple Seven, etc. And put them all on a plate and burned a known volume of each, and weighed the residue -- would this be a good test to determine how each foules?

And secondly, if you burned each on raw steel and left each in my garage for a week, would that be a good test to see which is most corrosive?

If so, has anyone done such a scientific test? I would do it, but have to easy way to get samples of each powder since the nearest Goex is a one hour drive, and the others are a three hour drive.

Pryodex doesn't seem to produce as much smoke as BP. It doesn't build up as much as BP and has a higher ignition point as was stated before. Other than that it seems to me the main reasons for it's 'approved' and sanctioned status is that it is a tightly controlled market with patents applied and the corresponding taxes paid to those who live off of taxes. BP is relatively easy to make by knowledgable people and cannot be as controlled or taxed. I've used Pyrodex and it's ok but I still like BP over it if for no other reason than it smells better and gives me a hotter load.

Data from the range, last friday:

Remington .44 revolver w/.451 round ball

--------------------------------------------------------------------
30gr. Pyrodex P yielded an average velocity of 567fps

30gr. Goex FFFg yielded an average velocity of 416fps
---------------------------------------------------------------------
35gr. Pyrodex P yielded an average velocity of 664fps

35gr. Goex FFFg yielded an average velocity of 477fps
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The black powder obviously stomped a LOT harder, the Pyrodex was much more pleasant in recoil. There's not much hope in the near future for the layperson to economically measure pressure, but I have to assume that both powders were operating within safe limits. There is obviously some major differences in performance, probably due to burn rates. I like shooting both (actually, I like shooting anything I can get my hands on ;) ). For serious business, I'd surely go with the higher velocity product.

Back