What is the opinion of the Ruger M77 MKII Target?

Corey

I am looking at a used one in a gun shop here, in 22-250, and I am wondering what people think about them. Are the triggers adjustable or 3lbs or less from the factory? Are the barrels high quality? How accurate are they in general? Any opinions are appreciated.

A friend of mine has one in 220 Swift. I have seen him put three shots under an inch at 300 yards. He can put five shots into a gallon jug at 500 yards. I don't know about the trigger, but the thing is hell for accurate.

My hunting pard acquired one of these VLS models in .25-06 a couple of years ago. Great trigger (2-1/2 lbs out of the box. It's an adjustable two-stage trigger unlike any other Mk II's.)
Very accurate. My pard put a Leupold 6.5x20 on it, and we shot bottle caps off the 200-meter backstop, using 100-grain handloads.
You need a hand truck to carry it around, though.
If you buy it, contact Ruger for a manual...they are anxious to supply them if you don't have one, and you'll need it to learn how to adjust the trigger.

Overall, the Ruger is a good rifle. Quite a few people like the factory trigger on the gun, but if you want one adjustable, you'll have to go aftermarket (go Canjar single-set if you can).

Don't forget to check for excessive wear. If I remember correctly, the 22-250 is a pretty hot load, and wears quickly. Someone please confirm this....

Overall, if in good condition, an excellent rifle. If it needs a new barrel, don't be afraid to have one put on for a good price. The action is worth it.

I guess Charmedlyfe and I are talking about different models. The rifle I mentioned in my post, and the model which I think Corey was asking about, is the Varmint-Target model, which has a gray stainless finish, laminated stock, and an ADJUSTABLE two stage trigger. There are so many different models and subcategories in factory rifles these days it's hard to know what is under discussion without precise identification. Ruger has offered other models of the 77 rifle in 'Varmint' configuration, which in general meant only a slightly heavier barrel. The VT-LS is an altogether different kettle of pasta, and much superior to any other 77MkII.

I am not a fan of Ruger rifles but this is one that may be worth having. A friend of mine owns one and the adjustable trigger and the apparent extra work put into the barrel makes it better than most Ruger products. The earlier caution about the state of the barrel is valid but overall it's definitely a rifle worth considering IMHO.

Wife has a Stainless MK-II in 223

The Wife has a Ruger Stainless MK-II in 223 that has a very good oout of the box trigger. I have Ruger Ultra Lite in 223. A gunsmith has polished the trigger. He says it will not be safe to go any further. It had a DAMN GOOD trigger.

Corey, There is some confusion as to what is what. #1 You can safely assume that you can purchase a used rifle in any caliber that has a shot out barrel. This Ruger 77 MK II http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1441545&a=10815489&p=43282357 was a model VS, 5 or 6 years ago [I think]. Stock trigger = 2.25 lbs. It is a fun rifle. Mine is in .308 because I love the round. What price are they asking? If the price is reasonable you are looking at a good INVESTMENT :)

Oh, MY!!! An ADJUSTABLE trigger STOCK!!! I want one!!!

Sorry, all the Rugers I've worked on have had the fixed trigger and have, in fact, been varmint models. I haven't seen this beast.

My reference to the barrel was in regard to certain small-bore very-high velocity calibres being far more prone to throat erosion. I think the 22-250 was one of them. I may be mistaken.

im aware of only one ruger varmit bolt action.

ive never heard of the vt-ls and im quite the ruger guy. ruger does however offer tactical vt model in the 308 useing a ruger vt action, putn it in dark laminated stock. other than that nothing is changed.

however ruger does have older varmit rifles out there that are alittle difrent. rugers old model varmit rigs used to be dropped in sporter style walnut stock and use heavey 24" or 26" blued barrel. same countour as the new target grey barrels.

ive got tang safety m77 vt 22/250 like this. rifle was made in 1980 and does have shot out throat. ive removed the spacer in the mag box and seated bullets to touch the lands again. this makes the over lenght right at 2 5/8" long. havent yet tested loads but im sure hopen than thatl get her shooting for awhile longer.

if i remember right it cost right at 200bucks to have ruger rebarrel a vt rifle. rugers also known for reblueing and putn new handles on at no exstra cost other than the cost of the barrel. if your action is bedded then you may want to find a difrent stock to send it to them. chances are she will come back looking new.

good luck

Evan

oooooops
this thread popped up in search engine. figured what the heck i could remember my password and chime in. didnt relize that it was so old.

I have had very good luck with a 6mm rem

The gun has been the curse of ground hogs in the north end of Indiana for several years.
The trigger is not adjustable but breaks very cleanly at around 2 3/4.
Good guns and worth the price.

Back