What is the oldest you would consider self defense ammo still reliable?

What is the oldest you would consider self defense ammo if stored in cool and dry conditions?

• Less than 10 years

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • From 10 years to 20 years

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • From 20 years to 30 years

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • More than 30 years

Votes: 58 57.4%

• Total voters
I voted 30+ but it it would also depend on the quality of the ammunition. I have shot various surplus ammo in 30-06 (not, generally considered SD ammo :)) in my Garands that was 40 to 50 years old and it shot fine.

Of course, this ammo had sealed primer pockets, etc. and was probably held to high standards of manufacture. So, if it is quality stuff, it will probably be good for a long time.

properly made, and properly stored, ammo will still be viable long after you aren't. :D

Crap ammo, on the other hand, not so much....

I voted ten years, but agree it would last much longer. However, when it comes to self-defense why take a chance.

How many times have we seen, read, or heard about someone's dad or grandad that had a loaded revolver in the sock drawer for 60+ years and the gun and ammo went bang just fine? I have ammo older than 30 years that I reloaded.

Another 30 +. I've got a few shotgun shells I bought about 1975 that I wouldn't hesitate to use for deer hunting "tomorrow." (3", 000 buck)

I've got some 38 HP's still I loaded heck, I don't even know when...1985 or so that are the same way. I think I'm down to only a half dozen or so of them left. I was rationing them out over the years, and they've all fired perfectly.

I wonder if the answers run along the same lines as when you think a gun is "old." I don't consider a thirty year old gun to be old either. Or even a 50-60 year old one for that matter. :D

Last edited:
The surplus ammo was store in special storage and temp and moister was check then they took some out and shoot it when it had so meany miss fire it then went up fore sale by the lots and this is what we got from the high bidder so if it is stored wright it will last a long time.

I have bought new mfg 30 06 ammo from local gun stores that deteriorated so bad the cases leaked a green color and the ammo was all duds withing 20- 25 years storage inside my house

my fathers .38 was kept loaded for 30 years in a dresser and several rds were "DUDS"

just because your grandpas ammo lasted 50 years , doesnt mean your ammo will last 50 years

there is a reason the military gets rid of surplus ammo past a certain date, they also do tests and know ammo changes and may not be as reliable

I bought a bunch of surplus Guatemalan 5.56 with tarnished brass and most of it would not fire, and it was 1980's dated

I would never buy old surplus or questionable ammo of unknown history for long term storage, only buy factory fresh from a major ammo manufacturer

if you buy 20 year old ammo for stocking up, it will be 40 - 50 year old ammo by the time it ever gets used, always start off with factory new ammo for long term storage.

Last edited:
If you're storing just because you want a stash of the stuff and you do it right it should last a long time. I suppose where you live makes a difference too - I have to think it would naturally survive longer out in the high desert west where I live versus someplace humid like Georgia.

In terms of daily carry ammunition I think it's prudent to shoot it up and replace it after a year or two.

Properly stored, another 30+ vote here.

I would think your typical ammo can would be all the insurance you would need.
If you can keep wild temperature and humidity swings to a minimum, that's always good.

We were shooting some 45acp left over from the Korean war days-I would say good ammo should last a minimum of 30 years kept in the right environment

If a person does any shooting at all, they should have rotated through all their ammo in a short time, making the question of how long "self-defence ammo should last", a moot question.

I voted more than 30. I would test a mag first, but after that I would trust 30+ year old ammo.

I find myself ever being in this situation unlikely, but mea culpa. I would if I had to.

I’ve lost count of the amount of ammo I fired that was older than me and fired just fine. Heck, even that battle-packed 1980s Guatemalan 5.56 that looked like it had been stored in the bottom of a jungle swamp went bang very reliably.

I'm carrying ammo that I bought before I retired in 2009 and some that was purchased several years before that.
If I wasn't confident, I wouldn't carry it.

Back