What is the maximum FPS of rifle rounds?

Ricklin

Just what the title says, what is the maximum? I'll assume it's the itty bitty .17 caliber.
So what is the maximum? At what FPS do the bullets "vaporize"?

The .220 Swift (1935) was long been generally considered the fastest at 4100 fps for many years. The .17 Remington passed it going 4145 in 1971. The Lazzeroni Scramjet (1996) is supposed to push a 85 grain 6.5s at 4000, but that is off into the weeds since it is wildcatting.

A local was shooting 120 6.5 Sabot rounds with his .50BMG at 4900 fps.

Like most things like that, it depends. There really isn't a set velocity after which any bullet will disintegrate though. I recall seeing a gun rag article about some guy trying to get to 5,000 FPS. Years ago and I don't remember anything except the guy trying it.
20 grain, V-Max, .17 Remington Start loads can go over 4,000 FPS. Max load of CFE223 runs close to 4,500 FPS.
How fast before destruction depends on velocity, rifling twist and bullet construction.

Per some reloading books, you can get a 35 gr bullet to around 4400 FPS in the 220 Swift. I have a Swift, but have never tried the smaller bullets. Seems like one of the mods on this forum (I think it was this forum) was able to reach velocities in the high 4000’s, but never did reach 5000 FPS. I don’t remember what cartridge he was using.

Thanks!

Sounds like the practical limit is a little under 5000 FPS. Fast enough? The conversion nets 3409 miles per hour @ 5000 FPS. That's moving right along.:D

What does it matter? What are you trying to achieve? Numbers for their own sake without an intended purpose?
The 220 Swift has been known to disintegrate bullets in mid-flight, that is, when bullets are constructed for much slower calibers like the 22 Hornet and then loaded in the Swift to much higher rotational speeds than the bullet was engineered for.

The fastest speed listed in that wiki is 3,500fps.:confused: Maybe faster speeds are referenced somewhere else.

I have personally loaded .22-250 to over 4,500fps chrono verified with 35gr Nosler and Win748. The powder outweighs the bullet.

There are wildcat variants of the .22-250 listed on online sites that claim over 5,000fps.

The topic has come up a number of times....
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578242

I suggest paying particular attention to UncleNick’s comments.

My 22 CHeetah routinely runs 40 gr. Nosler ballistic tips at 4700 fps, but it groups best at 4600. Not all bullets can handle that sort of speed, but much depends on your barrel twist and smoothness as well. Ever notice that Accurate powder's first book listed the 22 BR with a 50 gr. Speer TNT at 3700 fps? That is well above Speer's recommendation, but then, there aren't any factory barreled guns out there shooting this bullet. My 22 BR eats them up like candy at that speed, with a Shilen barrel. And are they ever explosive on prairie dogs!

Fastest, period?
I believe the record is something like 5,800 fps with a smoothbore and large case shooting sabots with very light projectiles.

Anything much beyond about 4,200 fps seems to really annihilate rifled barrels, however.

The .220 Swift (1935) was long been generally considered the fastest at 4100 fps for many years.
The funny thing about that...
Is that when .204 Ruger came out as the new "King of Speed", .220 Swift was suddenly limited to only 4,000 or 4,100 fps, depending upon the data source. And, yet, just the year prior, multiple companies were still loading factory ammo that clocked 4,200+ fps from 26" barrels. Reloaders had access to 4,400 fps data for years, with some pushing beyond that (I've seen 4,600+ achieved).
Conspiracy!

Well there's an hour or so

An hour I will never get back. And thank you so much for the link Brian! Great thread and much appreciated.

Brian Pflueger Wrote: The fastest speed listed in that wiki is 3,500fps. Maybe faster speeds are referenced somewhere else.

I have personally loaded .22-250 to over 4,500fps chrono verified with 35gr Nosler and Win748. The powder outweighs the bullet.

There are wildcat variants of the .22-250 listed on online sites that claim over 5,000fps.

The topic has come up a number of times....
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578242

I suggest paying particular attention to UncleNick’s comments.

YOu read the charts and not the text. Read the 2nd paragraph and you might be surprised.

Ah, I see it.

I agree with UncleNick, as posted in the other thread.... seems to strain the laws of physics. Would be interesting to know the details.

Probably 25 years ago in Shooting times there was an article about if I believe the .257 Weatherby, where the author mad up some handloads using bullets designed for the .25 ACP (Undersized for the bore) and pushed them to 4700 FPS. If I remember correctly, the bullets came apart before they hit the target.

This discussion reminds me of a guy named Foggy who made a rifle that was supposed to reach 5,000 feet per second, using a necked-down .30-06 case and shooting a .22 caliber 40 grain bullet. He supposedly put a lock on the bolt, so it wouldn't open, and loaded the case full of "machine gun powder". This was in Solon, Maine.

He claimed that when he fired the rifle, loaded with "machine gun powder" the bullet decintegrated and splattered in the trees behind his building. I contend that the powder didn't burn adequately and that's what may have spattered into the leaves. That is, if he wasn't just making up the whole story. It's amazing what people will come up with, isn't it.

Bullets can come apart at high rotational velocities.
People with .220 Swifts, .22-250s, etc. have been experiencing the phenomenon since 3,500+ fps was possible - especially in 'fast twist' barrels.
There are quite a few varmint bullets that can't handle the high achievable velocities of some cartridges, even with slow twist rates like 1:14" or 1:12". Increasing twist rate just makes things worse.

Whether or not Foggy's story is true...? Make your own call.

You could probably get more muzzle velocity out of a smoothebore without rotation ripping the jacket off, but it would be worthless. To get a bullet to break down from friction in the air the energy required would ruin the barrel without a propulsion system that Wasn’t based on gas expansion.

I don't know the fps, but i can say the 30-06 with the saboted 55gr bullet zings em out there!
Remington Accelerator, i think the cartridge was called.

Back