What is the IPSC qualifier like?

another okie

I tried one IPSC match and have now joined. One club in the state is going to have a qualifier in a week. What is the qualifier like? I have shot the IDPA qualifier and realized later I went way too slow.

And does anyone know what any of the IPSC matches or clubs in SE Kansas, SW Missouri, or NW Arkansas are like?

IPSC/USPSA does not not have a set qualifier like IDPA does. In IPSC, there are a number of classifier stages, which are used to determine your classification. A club can run any classifier from the classifier book that it has the space and props to run.

A classifier stage can run the gamut from a 12 rnd. virginia count El Pres. to a 28 round run and gun field course.

After you have shoot four classifiers, you will receive your classification, based on your performance on the classifiers vis-a-vis the performance of the best shooter. The USPSA web site has a pretty good explanation of this, IIRC.

If an IPSC club runs a qualifier match...it will be comprised of 5 or so classifier stages..This is done because..a new shooter can get classified with four stages counting for score...so after one match you can get classifed rather than waiting four or five months to get enough sent in..

Most classifier stages run in the 12-18 round courses..some of the standards may have 24 or 30, but are ususally seperate strings of fire..Seen some courses as low at 6 rounds....you can see all of them at the USPSA wbsite..look under Classification > Classifier Stage Diagrams & Scoresheets

What about North East Oklahoma........or Central Oklahoma

There is going to be a special classifier in Ponca City, Oklahoma on August 13. See attached link.

http://bentworks.com/oksection/ponca_main.htm

Ponca City is about 30 minutes south of the Kansas boarder east of I-35.

If you haven't tried the clubs in Oklahoma you should give us a try. I help run the Oklahoma City Gun Club's IPSC division (located in Arcadia, about 20 minutes NE of OKC). We usually have between 40 and 65 shooters a month. We try to shoot 5 or 6 stages with lots of movement. You should give us a shot. You can also check out our website at:

http://bentworks.com/okcgc/

I have shot at the Wichita club and enjoyed it, they have an nice facility and run a good match.

sorry if that sounded too much like a sales pitch......but I suppose it was one.

DT45

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers.html

The concept of one classifier a la IDPA baffles me. If that isn't begging for someone to set it up in their backyard and shoot it everyday until they can make grand beagle (AKA game it) I don't know what is.

Haven't shot Merles, don't sweat me because I do ok on the longer range stuff. In my mind Off-balance blast deserves a special place in hell, many because I hit a no-shoot last time I did this.

I've only shot it once, with a 54.793%, and yes, it is a tough one. Weak hand/strong hand stuff always gets me!

By God, the 8th principle of IPSC is, "Practical competition is free-style." The COF should be shot freestyle, and strong/weak hand be da**ed!!

OK, rant mode off. ;)

WEAK HAND

As I sit here looking at my (throbbing) strong hand little finger all purple and swollen I'm thinking "What gun should I use at this Sunday's match?"

I'm thinking a left-handed gun :D

Back