What is the finish in SKS?

marsbars

I recently aquired a chinese sks for dirt cheap and the finish is rather beat up. I started looking at it thinking I would like to refinish it. Well to my dismay as I started getting into it that the finish is like a really hard latex paint. Most of the barrel also has a threaded appearence and I cannot for the life of me get this stuff out.
Does anyone know what type of finish this is and if I can get my hands on it. Plain bluing just won't look right. Thanks for any sugestions.

------------------
Cold Steel & Warm Plastic

I THINK that many of the Chinese guns use a baked enamel, which will probably be very difficult to remove.

Your best bet is to simply recoat with a baking enamel or lacquer (available from Brownell's) and stick with that.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!

Bead-Blast it and Blue it. Better yet, parkerize it. The best way to get the finish off no matter what it is is to blast the gun. If you want a gloss finish, buy another gun. To my knowledge, the Chinese guns were all blued. The Russian guns are a mix of enamel and polished blue. Are you sure you don't have a Russian gun or a poorly refinished Chinese gun?

It must be a badly refinished one as it has the chinese armory stamps

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marsbars:
It must be a badly refinished one as it has the chinese armory stamps
[/quote]

Hehe, or I'm wrong. I've just never seen one that way. Might wanna try paint remover or just not worry about it. Many of the chemicals you'll use to remove the paint and degrease tend to get trapped in the many recesses of the SKS and cause corrosion. The best bet might be to just find a gunsmith that will Parkerize the gun for you cheap.

I have found a company that will Gunkote everthing for about 150 including postage. And that is everthing not just the big pieces. Thanks for any and all thoughts and ideas

------------------

Back