What is the deal with 30-30?

USAF Ret

So, been wanting a 30-30 for deer hunting. I understand the run on tactical firearms and ammo. However, there is hardly a 30-30 to be found without an outrageous price and literally no ammo. :confused:

A good used 30-30 is probably one of the most common used rifles available on the second-hand market.
LGS only has 45 Colt and 44 Mag
Either of those would work for me--especially the 44mag since that ammo is usually easy to find.

A good used 30-30 is probably one of the most common used rifles available on the second-hand market.
Either of those would work for me--especially the 44mag since that ammo is usually easy to find.
Would like to have a little more distance than what the 44 offers, unless I am off on that.

Let's just say that a; 30-30 is as common as the "SKS" is for the 7.62X39, and ammo will be easy to find.

44 mag may have been easy to find back before the gun rush, but now it's one of those unobtainable calibers and if you do find any it's for big dollars now.

"...without an outrageous price..." That applies to everything. The Covid Panic, I think. Lotta people are trying to turn a lever action into a so called "tactical" rifle too.
Which .30-30 matters though. Winchester has been marketing on the name for eons. I'm of the opinion that a .30-30 Win M94 has too much felt recoil for the power and accuracy of the cartridge in a lever action. 6 or 7 pounds depending on barrel length is decidedly light weight. The .30-30 drives tacks in a bolt action, if you can find one.
"...on Gunbroker..." Likely are on the other auction sites too.
Ammo is entirely out of stock and/or no back order on both Midway and Graf's. Suggests a lack of demand but it's far more likely something else is going on Stateside. Lots of it up here.

Any thoughts on 44 Mag for deer hunting? They had 2 at the LGS. I hear conflicts on range, but standard looks to be no more than 100 yards.

However, there is hardly a 30-30 to be found without an outrageous price and literally no ammo.

I am SO glad to be living in rural Nebraska .... folks around here are not participating the panic.

Many people consider a lever action 30-30 to be a more political correct , and less expensive alternative to an AR or AK rifle. That is at least part of the reason for the shortage. People who can't get an AR, or don't want one, are choosing 30-30's and stocking up on ammo.

At 50-75 yards I'd rate 44 mag as a better hunting option than 30-30, especially on game bigger than deer. But in my experience it is also a little less accurate and bullet drop starts to be something you have to think about at even 100 yards But if you can get hits on game it is going to be effective past 100.

Well, I pulled the trigger, no pun intended. Found a Marlin 336BL 30-30 for a decent price. Thanks for the help.

Well, I pulled the trigger, no pun intended. Found a Marlin 336BL 30-30 for a decent price. Thanks for the help.

Thats great. But without pictures it didn't happen.:D

I have three 30-30 rifles and one 44 mag and have killed or seen deer killed with both. The 44 mag is best held to 100 yards or less. I think more like 75-80 yards. The 30-30 is an easy 150 yard rifle and even 200 yards is not out of the question if you have an accurate gun/ammo combination. I have shot my Marlin 30-30 out to a measured 300 yards and did well enough with it to shoot two bowling balls to giblets. And that with a 3x scope.

I'd take a .35 Remington over any .30-30 any day.
Many millions didn't, however.;) Considering the ballistics, however, I might have considered a longer barrel since the 30-30 does experience "rapid decay."

The 30/30 is the best choice. Ammo is usually very available and reasonable in price. It kills pretty darned good within 150 yds. Just get a few boxes of 170gr bullets and make sure it's sighted in good.

The 35 might hit a little harder, but ammo is often harder to find. 30/30's can usually be found anywhere ammo is sold. I saw several boxes for sale today at a little country store.

The 44 mag is ok, but lots of rifles out there don't feed as reliably as the 30/30 and you don't have the range of the 30/30.

If you have a bunch of guns and you are into guns, then by all means get all three calibers and have fun. But if you just want a deer rifle and you want a leveraction, start with the 30/30.

Back