What is the cheapest C&R eligable Full Auto?

jclayto

The title says its all. Just a hypothetical question, probably not going to get one anytime soon. IM guessing a Reising m50?

Currently, both the Reising 50, and the Mac10/11 are the cheapest entry level Class 3s available. While the Reising itself is fairly cheap, the magazines are running $125-150 for decent 20 rounders.:)

Nope, they're not. The original Mac-10 came out in 1964, so it's 8 more years before the big 50th birthday. You can bet as they become C&R, the price will increase greatly. There should be a demand for them in the C&R only states.

You're correct. My brain just couldn't wrap itself around C&R and cheap both. Sorry for the misinfo.:)

Wouldn't the original prototype MACs qualify for C&R? Weapons that have special historic value can be C&R I thought? I guess that would make Saddam's hi-power a C&R too.

boofus said:
Wouldn't the original prototype MACs qualify for C&R? Weapons that have special historic value can be C&R I thought? I guess that would make Saddam's hi-power a C&R too.
What a great question - I believe that if you first paid the owner (so he would sit on it for you) - then wrote a letter to the BATF&E and stated why the weapon that you sought to have classified as a C&R "qualified" (I imagine you would have to identify a specific weapon) and they agreed (in writing) then it could be a C&R weapon.

I have always thought that if you could track the AR-15's that the LAPD cops grabbed from the gun store and ended the N. Hollywood shootout with. You remember the bad guys wraped in kevlar head to toe? I think if you could locate one of the AR-15's, identified it by serial number, and stated your case, you would hae a strong argument in favor of C&R status. The gun would have to derive a "significant" portion of it's value by being connected to a certain historical person or event.

I think Saddam's Hi-power would certainly qualify - not so sure about proto-type Mac's
It would be worth the try if you could find one. :D

I would guess either a Reising or a Sten gun. Perhaps a M2 Carbine if you can find the right price.

All three can be had for under $5000 if you look hard enough. M2 would be the hardest to find at that price, but not impossible.

Most Stens are not C&R - only those that were actually produced during WWII. The various US manufacturers of Sten "tube" guns who built them in the 70's and 80's (Wilson, Erb, Flemming, etc.) do not qualify for C&R status...at least not yet. You do have to be careful; if you're in a C&R only state this is critical. With sten tube guns running about $4k, it would be unlikely to find a true C&R sten at $5k or less. When you go up the ladder a bit to things like MP40's the price difference becomes even more pronounced. An MP40 tube gun will go for about $8k, but a true C&R MP40 will be several thousand dollars more.

I have always thought that if you could track the AR-15's that the LAPD cops grabbed from the gun store and ended the N. Hollywood shootout with. You remember the bad guys wraped in kevlar head to toe? I think if you could locate one of the AR-15's, identified it by serial number, and stated your case, you would hae a strong argument in favor of C&R status. The gun would have to derive a "significant" portion of it's value by being connected to a certain historical person or event.

B&B Guns auctioned off the ARs used at a SOF convention in Las Vegas and attempted to donate the money earned to a fund for the officers wounded in the shootout. The donation was turned down. North Hollywood then passed a number of restrictive gun laws that forced the gun store to shutdown. Thankyouverymuch.

"While the Reising itself is fairly cheap, the magazines are running $125-150 for decent 20 rounders"

I don't remember the company's name, but there are these guys I read about in small arms review that will weld a drum on to an appropriate magazine for a fairly reasonable price.

Also, Ingram model 6's are currently going for 6,500 bucks. They are similar in contour to thompsons and far cheaper. Although, the same rarity problem exists with the magazines.

Last edited:
Back