What is the best target to shoot at

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentstorm16

Hey I'm curious what is the best targets to shoot at I will be shooting at ranges from 3yds interview stance out to 25 yards. But most shooting will be done at the 3yds to 7yd lines. Thanks.

Paper silhouettes are a good choice IMO. They're life size, cheap, and big enough to see where your missed shots are hitting.

Just like the question I get all the time in my business:

"What's the best firewood to burn?"

the answer is.... "Free"

best you can do with targets is make your own....

100 page book of newprint paper (24x22) from Office depot about $10

yard stick and magic marker...
get fancy and also by the little 3/4" round inventory stick on labels in blue or black.... I think they cost about $10 for a thousand.

divide a page with lines into four section... 12x10.... place a round label in each box and in the middle and you just made 5 targets out of one page...

do the math and you'll see that this cost almost nothing.... about 1.5 cents for 5 targets I think.

I use black circles printed off from free target websites (www.targetz.com). I start "warming up" with 4" circles, then I move to 8" circles. By the end of the range session I usually shoot a few magazines at an IDPA style target. Shooting at small targets to start out will help you with your accuracy and target aquisition.

Use "free printable targets" for your web search topic and enjoy the ride ( if you have a printer ) . If not bookmark the ones you like, find a friend who has a printer and get busy making a master copy for the ones you like. Go to an Office Max etc. outlet and duplicate for appx. $0.12 each

Best targets

I use paper plates from Wallymart. They are cheap and available in different colors and diameters. If there is no hole in the plate, I missed. I don't care how far I missed. If I can keep all the shots in the middle of the plate I feel I have done well. Smaller plates help me dial in. Crude, but effective.

+2+ on cheap, on sale, paper plates.

Forget the fancy black bullseye targets. Don't waste your money and time. Even at 7 yards (21 ft) with a 9mm depending on your backstop you won't be able to clearly make out where you just shot.

Remember shooting is about many things but hitting the target is the main principle, right? - well if you shoot and don't really know where you just shot? You'll never be consistent and be able to hone your precision shooting skills. Might as well turn off the lights or close your eyes and blast away(please don't do this).

Yes, later when you are very proficient and know what the heck you are doing then move to targets with a "big black circle."

For the money and especially for people new or wanting to improve their shooting ability - shoot at a blank target - be it a piece of paper, a paper plate anything but....

Remember shooting is about practice and practice and practice. Make sure you're having fun and when your scoring dead center - now that's a lot more enjoyable.

Paper plates.

The plain white background forces me to concentrate on the front sight. I shoot better groups at 25 yards with plates than I do with traditional paper targets.

The best targets to shoot at are the ones that don't shoot back.

If you have access to a copy machine, make one or two "master" copies, then run them off - will usually be cheaper than downloading and using printer ink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back