What is the best .38 snub in production.

I like the model 638, Bodyguard Airweight, with it's snag-free shrouded hammer. It can be cocked, if desired. Also, you can do a cylinder rotation check to make sure there is no binding.
The Airweight weighs approx. 15 oz. (After shooting a full box of ammo in one range session, I would not want to go any lighter)

The model 642, Centenial Airweight, has an fully enclosed hammer that that will not snag.

Both revolvers may be fired from inside a jacket pocket or a purse, in an emergency.

These revolvers have been in production for several years, so many good used examples exist.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/

-Mk.IV

I can attest to the accuracy and reliability of the Smith model 60. I shoot steel plates at 25 yards (75ft) with one. It's not the lightest snubbie on the market.

I also have a Taurus M85 ultralight snubbie. Weight and reliability wise, no problems. For normal self defense ranges, accuracy is no problems. It points better than the Smith for quick shots, but it's not as accurate (or maybe I'm not as accurate with it) as the Smith at 25 yards.

I'm fond of the blued S&W Model 36, though I don't think it's still in production (not that I care what S&W makes currently). Guess I watched too many cop shows when I was a kid growing up.

The best snub .38 spl. is the Ruger SP 101 in .357 Mag. My daughter needed a carry piece, and this turned out to be her choice. It has proven reliable and accurate. Mag Na Porting decreased the muzzle flip (but made me appreciate both plugs and muffs).

You just plain get better ballistics working at 37,000 psi. than you do at 20,000 psi.

Walt

I will say the Taurus M85. I own the blued steel version and love it. Beautiful finish, accurate and goes bang every time.

Back