What is the best 12 Gauge shotgun slug to stop a vehicle?

That doesn't happen even in movies. No slug nor anything else will ever stop a vehicle. Physics doesn't allow it.
Shoot the driver and you have a completely uncontrolled, one ton plus, projectile.
You can break a vehicle, but that won't stop it.

That doesn't happen even in movies. No slug nor anything else will ever stop a vehicle. Physics doesn't allow it.Shoot the driver and you have a completely uncontrolled, one ton plus, projectile. You can break a vehicle, but that won't stop it.

I don't think he was implying to stop it dead in it's tracks, but disable the vehicle. In that case ideks recommendation of Brenneke slugs is the best choice. Load up an 8 shot semi auto shotgun with those, and you got yourself one hell of a vehicle buster.

This question has popped up on other forums.
The best answer was that the only way to be sure of stopping any vehicle is with the brakes. ;)

I have no personal experience to back this up, but I worked with a guy who was in the Coast Guard. He told me their Interdiction boats in California carried Rifled Remington 870s with copper sabots

more

On the right track. Any "projectile" capable of penetrating to and into the radiator, will eventually "disable" the vehicle. The Achilles heel of any liquid cooled motor. A stone could do it.

Intending/attempting to "stop" a vehicle with conventional/typical small arms, bad tactics. I am acquainted with such a case, where the vehicle (admittedly a big one, as in 3-5 ton type truck) , well riddled, went 15 miles or more, and stopped 'cause it ran out of fuel. I was told a bullet had holed the side saddle fuel tank.

When it was over, a very terrified hitchhiker baled out as the driver was taken into custody! No LEO knew the hitcher was aboard.

Roadblock!

Before fuel injection, taking out the carburetor would stop fuel flow immediately with a good chance of fire. There were also distributors mounted on the front of the engine on Fords. You just had to aim at the right area and be lucky enough to penetrate a sloped hood and or the radiator support. I think much easier with a rifle, and much easier to take out the driver.

Now with fuel injectors, there is a much lower profile to stop fuel flow. But who hasn't heard stories about some large bore rifle smashing a block. I think for the most part, untrue.

Back