What is "SBU Prone"

Greetings,
What is SBU prone? I came across this term and I am unfamiliar with it. I understand it is a Gunsite technique and stands for Special Boat Unit prone. I am an old SWCC operator and wonder what I used to do that was worthy of having a shooting technique named after it. (Although in all likelihood I wasn't good at it anyway:))

If memory serves, the weapon goes on its side with the stock over your shoulder. That puts your eye close to the sights which is a disadvantage with irons but not an issue with Aimpoints.

If memory serves, the weapon goes on its side with the stock over your shoulder. That puts your eye close to the sights which is a disadvantage with irons but not an issue with Aimpoints.

Thats exactly right, and just to add, its basically used for when you need to get very low, like shooting under a vehicle or lower than a traditional prone position would allow. You can use your iron sights in this position but it is more difficult than using a red dot.

It is one of several techniques used to shoot under a low obstacle.

The ejection port is up (right hand dominant shooter) and the right elbow up.
You cannot get as low with this as you can with urban prone, but it works.

Not a GS technique. It was shown to them by SBU members who attended a course and later adopted by them, but has been in use by members of the SOF community for years prior to that.

Back