What is next?

Gunplummer

What do you think will become the next fad with guns? We have been through Mausers, M1-A's, .45's, Russian rifles (AK's, SKS, bolt guns), Defense shotguns, Civil War Buffs, Cowboy Action shooting, Short Magnums, .50 BMG bolt actions, AR's, and Handgun Palooza still seems to be going pretty good. I guess you could throw in "Hoarding ammo" too. Pardon me if I omitted anything. Time for a new movie to get something rolling? I could not begin to venture a guess as to what is next.

Hard to say but mag fed shotguns seem to be on the rise. Also carbine pistols ala .223 are coming out. But we have soooo many choices now I wonder if we need more.

Pistol caliber carbines.

(Yes, I know that's not the perfect term. I have my own issues with it, as well. But that's the most common term to describe that 'class' of firearms.)

The 6.5's seem to be exploding in popularity. They have been common for long range shooting for a while. Hunters are re-discovering the caliber and finding it works just fine and they really don't need a 30-06. I think bullet technology has played a part in this.

A return to real wood stocks? Maybe. Savage 99 renaissance? Probably not. Magnetically launched projectiles? Maybe. How about big game hunts, (on private ranches, of course), using a drone for a gunplatform, and remotely flown from the comfort of your lazyboy or even wheelchair? Probably being developed right now. One thing for sure: The future will be weird. I already hate plastic stocks. Whatever happened to paintball? is that still a growing shooting-sport? Here's an idea for you: On a course like sporting clays, instead, have fairly cheap drones mounted with paint-ball guns that you are allowed to shoot down with your shotgun if they don't tag you first. Somebody else has probably already thought of something like this; the Army, maybe. Myself, I'd rather turn the clock back to simpler times. I think I will hunt this year with a vintage rifle and vintage ammo in remote places with old fashioned gear and clothes and escape for a moment from 2015 and revert to a previous millenium.

It seems the current interest is in suppressors, and I can see it becoming even more in demand.

Last edited:
How about a semi auto rifle in 44 or a 454. Maybe even 460? I think they could sell lot hot cakes. Hog hunting is more popular and these rounds with 20 inch barrels in a semi auto would b the greatest thing since sliced bread and peanut butter.

Ruger sold .44 auto carbines years back. Maybe they were just too early with them. The pistol caliber carbines may be making a comeback, but it does not seem as though the semi-auto versions are.

I think a good one would be the AR platform with more traditional style stock configuration and material; wood/laminate -- less evil etc. jd

My crystal ball is as cloudy as anyone's but given these two data points....

The fastest growing segment of the shooting community is women.

The fastest growing segment of the shooting sports is junior air rifle.

I'd say that if we want to keep growing those two segments of our community we need to cater to their particular needs and desires. I "think" that these two communities can be brought together with rimfires, and to do that we'll need three things.

1, an affordable match grade rimfire rifle. Savage is halfway there with the FVT offerings, but it needs a real stock option. We already have affordable semi-autos.

2, an affordable match grade 22lr pistol. They aren't hard to make, the are just hard to make well in quantity. Needs to be able to attach bells and whistles like red dots and lasers. We have affordable semi-autos.

3, We need a rimfire league for "three gun" where a pump action rimfire rifle serves as the "shotgun." This isn't because people can't handle the recoil, but because it expands the age brackets up and down to let more people compete. Demonstrating proficiency with multiple firearms, very little recoil or noise, knocking over steel targets sounds like fun.

I'd like to see people get used to having fun while improving their skills, and then if they wanted to branch back into precision shooting be able to easily pick up a match rifle or pistol without dropping a lot of money on equipment.

Jimro

Ruger has a 77-.357 bolt action carbine that is really neat, however, the price tag excludes many. I would like to see a rifle (carbine) the size of a Spanish Destroyer offered in many pistol calibers, light weight with a picitinny rail for modern sights/scopes, and a detachable box mag of ten round capacity, and finally....priced so the masses could afford the rifle and a bunch of ammo.

Modular handguns or at least modular grips are catching on.

Bolt action rifles feeding from large capacity detachable magazines are catching on.

9mm carbines seem to just be catching on again.

I am sure it will be something made of polymer, made to look all tactical, and requires the use of expensive magazines to function.

I won't be purchasing it though. My only real interest is in nice single shot rifles and smaller bore single action revolvers....so, I'm not really a demographic that is high on the list to cater to in the current marketplace.

jimro, that would be a great idea, if they could produce .22 rimfire ammo!!!

i know, i know...its hard to find, unless a hoader gets it & the the price goes up.

anyway, i'm kinda a single shot sort of fella. i'd say instead of magnumitis go with something a little different, like say a 30-40 krag.

Back