What is meant by gas checked hardcast

Dano4734

And I don’t understand why some hardcast bullets have three grease rings and others only one for a 45-70. Can you explain

A gas check is a cup on the bottom of a bullet that is more durable than the lead itself.

Like these.

https://shop.brownells.com/reloadin...MIiqupnZOC3QIVhrXACh3aoA8oEAQYAiABEgJ0YfD_BwE

Nothing at all to do with lube grooves/grease rings.

“Hard cast” is like saying “super” or “new and improved” without a hardness number on some kind of a relative scale, it just doesn’t mean anything. “Hard” is a qualitative word (1+1=..., is hard for some). If you want to quantify hardness of lead the Brinell scale is the most common.

Last edited:
A gas check is a piece of metal crimped to the bottom of the bullet. Gas checks are usually copper or aluminum. The gas checks keep the high Temps of the Burning powder away from the lead bullet base. If a bullet does not seal entirely against the bore the gases will escape up the side of the bullet and melt the lead,thus leading the barrel. The gas check helps seal the gases to keep them behind the bullet.
Hardcast is mostly a generic term. There is no definite definition but refers to lead that is alloyed with other metals to make it harder. Those are usually tin and others. In some situations hard lead is not needed for a cast bullet at target velocities. Swagged bullets are soft lead. Hard lead allows the bullet to not strip the rifling. This means there is no slippage between bullet and barrel rifling. When bullets are accelerated very fast the bullet slides down the barrel and does not rotate with a 1 to 1 relationship with the rifling.
There can be one to multiple lube grooves on lubed bullets. The position,width,and depth of lube grooves determine the center of gravity of a bullet. Where the cg is determines the bullets stability. A bullet in a long rifle bullet requires more lube to seal and lube the bore since the bullet is in the barrel for a longer time than a short pistol barrel.

As a very general rule of thumb, if shooting lead faster than 1,000 fps you'll want the "hard cast" with the gas check. As in your 45-70.

For things like the 45 ACP, 38 Special as long as your not hotrodding them they are not needed.

"Hard Cast" is a fairly new term, started a few years ago by (IMO) commercial bullet casters. If it has a meaning it would mean that it is a cast bullet. vs. a swaged bullet. Many new lead bullet shooters think "harder is better" so the commercial casters give them what they want. Some produce bullets 18-20 BHN, but with research you can find more sensible bullets/alloys of approx. 12-15 BHN...

"Hard Cast" is a fairly new term and is mostly irrelevant. If the thing is driven too fast it's still going to cause leading.
The gas check literally prevents the hot gases getting past the bullet by melting said bullet. This kind of stuff is covered in the reference chapters of your manual. S'why you need to read the whole thing.
"...have three grease rings..." Mostly about the speeds a particular cartridge operates at. As mentioned, it has nothing to do with gas checks.

One other thing about the gas check - it tends to scrape away barrel leading reducing a lead buildup.

I recommend you stick with copper and avoid aluminum. Aluminum oxide is the abrasive used on sandpaper and can tend to increase wear on your barrel over the long haul.

Hardcast might refer to either bullet quenching out of the mold or using a lead alloy with added tin or antimony bringing up the projectile's hardness which is also done to reduce leading of the barrel.

My alloys are no harder than 16 BHN. I do not believe in the "hardcast" hype.

I also use ALUMINUM and copper gas checks where needed.

Both work and there is no aluminum oxide eating away my barrels.

Gas eats barrels. Aluminum gas checks do not.

If you have lead fouling in the barrel, the gas check will not remove it.

I saw some bullets online that said they are powder coated how does that work i never saw one is it to reduce leading

As a very general rule of thumb, if shooting lead faster than 1,000 fps you'll want the "hard cast" with the gas check. As in your 45-70.

Much depends on the composition of the bullet alloy, and the powder used. I shoot "hard" cast slugs at 11-1300fps without gas checks, and without issues.

"Hard Cast" is a fairly new term, started a few years ago by (IMO) commercial bullet casters.

Hard cast is hardly a new term, its been in use since casters started casting alloys instead of just pure lead bullets. Widespread use of the term is, however, more recent, just as commercial bullet casters are a fairly recent development.

The coated bullets does NOT fowl the rifling in your gun. It will save you money because the copper gas checks cost and you will need the equipment to put them on. I have put gas checks on 44mag and some long guns the coated bullets is the way to go good luck

Sounds good I had to really scrub my barrel as I had some light leading occurring from firing many rounds of non gas checked. Hmm maybe the powder coating is a better option

Get some copper Chore Boy and wrap it around either a brush or a bore mop. I use both.

An excellent lead remover when leading is a problem.

Be careful when buying because there is a lot of stuff that is copper coated steel and you don't wanna use that stuff in a good barrel.

Back