What is legal status of Colt blocked mags?

ModIMark0

What are Colt 20 round (blocked to 5 round with a riveted floorplate) magazines classified as? Are they pre-ban high capacity magazines, or would removing the block (after removing the rivet and possibly wrecking the floorplate) be creating a high capacity post ban magazine? Have there been any rulings in regard to this?

Do they have a date of manufacture stamped on them? It's my understanding that all post-ban mags are required to have a date of manufacture stamped on them. If this is true, and it doesn't have a date, I'd say it's a pre-ban, and you can destroy it at will.

The original Colt 5 rounders were 20 round magazines blocked to 5 round capacity. Funny how the floorplate may be slipped off and the blocking piece removed. Later Colt blocked magazines had a rivet which prevented the removal of the floorplate. Deft application of a dremel could remedy this and Colt finally resorted to a truncated magazine which couldn't be converted to higher capacity.

I would suspect that if a magazine was produced before the ban, and converted to high capacity before the ban, it would be perfectly legal.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back