What Is It?

Ed Brunner

Today at the Pawn Shop I saw what I first thought was a 4" BHP. It was made in Hungary by FEG, and imported by Century Arms. It had a recurved front on the trigger guard and a DECOCKER! The clerk said it was a BHP.It was 9x19. He wanted $300 which has to be way too much! What is it and what is it worth?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

ED:
I did a research on a similar gun some months ago. From what I could gather, Centrury Arms imported them as look alikes. In addition there were clones made in that part of the world and they are not Browning Hi-Powers.

The man I did the research for even sent a colored photo. Although it appeared to look like a Browning I could not identify it as such.

hjn

Hi, Ed and Harley,

I didn't know Century had taken over, but those sound like the same guns Kassnar imported a couple of years ago. There was a single action that was a copy of the BHP and a DA that looked pretty much like the BHP but had a totally different mechanism.

They weren't bad guns, but they weren't BHPs. The Blue Book lists the SA in 100% at $295, and the DA at $225.

Jim

There is another number on the slide I will go back Monday and see if I can get more info . Thanks a lot.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

FEG's Hipower copy was call the the PJK9HP, it takes all standard hi-power mags and parts. Fit and finish isn't as pretty but they shoot really well. New price on these is just over $225 in the shotgun news.

The DOUBLE action model is a modified Smith and wesson action that looks like a hi-power. The decocker is slide mounted and the grip is nearly vertical. It was advertised as having a 14 shot magazine. (as opposed to the hi powers 13) Its designation is usually P9R. They take smith and wesson mags if i recall and price runs around $250 new.

Depending on your market, $300 may be a little high for this pistol, esp. if its used.

FEG makes SOLID arms.. thay may not be pretty, but they work really well. I have a single acion Hi-Power copy (PJK9HP) in 9mm and a PA 63 (double action) in .380. Niether is especially pretty, but I'd shoot either against the original browning or a walther's that they copy. FEG also made the BEST AK variant on the market, the SA-85 M. Fit and finish was far supierior to the chinese, egyptian, bulgarian, and romanian rifles on the market. the latest importable version is called the SA 2000 M, I have not seen this variant up close but it now ships with a choate stock instead of a the rich blonde wood of the sa85M.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Dr.Rob

Thank you all for your help. I just got back from TWO shops. I got more info from the gun. It shows the model # P9RK. Another shop found it in a book as an FEG P9. Price $269.
(The one at the shop is ratty and I would buy it for $150 but he wont budge.)

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Back