What is it?

Lucas

Until the press, politicians, ect. started to demonize the AK-47, I never paid much attention to them. Now I have (thanks to all the aforementioned). However I'm not up on all the terms, and rules regarding them.
For example:

MISR Receiver 7.69 x39.
Made by Maadi Egypt.
Imp. C.A.I. ST ALB. VT.
New looking thumbhole stock.
16" barrel that has been turned.
Front sight without the bayonet lug.
Cleaning rod.
Accepts all standard AK magazines.
The receiver doesn't look to be milled--but I don't know.

I think it's called a MAK 90, is that correct? Could a pistol grip and shoulder stock be installed without breaking the law?

What's your opinion of it? Thanks all that respond.

MAK-90's are made in China by Norinco (got one).

The milled AK's are pretty easy to identify. They have a longitudinal gouge, on each side and just above the mag opening. Kind of like they made it with a grinding wheel (like they probably did). The upper and lower edges are well defined, but the front and rear edges are not.

The stamped AK's have a very well devined ovalish indentation where the milled variety have the gouge. These also have more rivets that hold such things as the internal rails, rear block, and other parts that are integral to the milled. Here's a photo of a stamped AK-74:
aks743.gif

The way sec 922(r) reads, it is legal to intall a separate pistol grip and buttstock ONLY IF THERE ARE NO MORE THAN 10 IMPORTED PARTS. The parts (about 26 in all) are listed in the above section (look it up at ATF or another site). There are lots of people selling US made stock sets that are claimed to put you under the 10 part limit. They cost about $175.

Destructo6,

You have me a little confused, as did a gun store owner a few weeks ago. I bought a Hungarian post ban AK and the guy tried to sell me a folding stock kit that was made in America. He said because it was American made, it was ok to put it on. Is that what you talking about at the end of your post?

Prichard,

Wrong. If you put enough american made parts on a post ban MAK-90, you CAN put pre-ban stuff on it. The ATF can clarify this for you if you like.

The reason most don't is cost. You spend a whole lot getting enough american made parts, then you spend a whole lot more for your neat-o modifications, for what? A gun that does what it did several hundred dollars ago.

Koski

I believe you are incorrect sir. If I can put preban features on a postban gun as log as it has enough U.S. made parts then I could make my postban AR into a preban because it is 100% U.S. Parts.

Back