What is "chrome moly"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imi

Inactive
I recently e-mailed the Kahr company asking about the difference between their regular Kahr 9 and that of the E9? Unfortunately, they didn't elaborate satisfactorily. I think the best guy to ask questions about guns are the ordinary folks and shooters: The only big difference I noticed between the said pistols is that the E9 (E for economy) is cheaper because it is made of chrome moly...so, what is this chrome moly?

------------------

imi:

I think they are referring to "chrome molybedneum" (sp?) steel. As I understand it, steel with a higher than normal chrome content.

Any of our resident metalurgists may have the textbook answer....

Mike

Where you usually hear Chrome-Molly is when talking aobut barrels, as most barrels which aren't stainless are Chrom-molly. I assume that the same steel would be used in other parts of guns.

Chrome-moly usually means the steel has
a higher or specific content of chrome and molybdenum.

It's one kind of steel. Nothing special or earth-shaking about it.

Edmund

Thanks for your replies, guys! Just how tough is chrome moly compared with a forged steel as far as firearms is concerned?

Um, "forged" is a manufacturing process. "Chrome-moly" is a type of steel.
Comparing the two is like asking what's better, sanded or oak?

With that in mind, the gun industry is full of bad terms like this. Aluminum alloy receivers are commonly called "alloy" when steel is also an alloy.

Now that we got that straight, I think if a good material is used, and good manufacturing processes are used, then forged parts will stand up better than plain machined parts. Unfortunately, we often can't tell
-what kind of steel is used in guns. "Chrome-moly" isn't specific enough.
-What manufacturing process is used.
-How finely detailed the manufacturing is held to.

Hope that helps.

Edmund

The "E", economy, K-9 is a no frills version of the K-9. The gun only comes with 1 magazine and less expensive sights, grips and finish. It is not the chrome moly that make it less expensive. Fact is, chrome moly is stronger than carbon steel and stainless steel. Harder and more shock absorbtive than aluminum alloy. The reason for the chrome moly is that it is less expensive to blue, rather than bead blasting stainless steel.
Hope this helps a bit. My neighbor has a K40 and it has proven to be a very reliable and accurate gun. I have shot it many times.

Robert

Chromium- Molybdenum is a hard, strong steel alloy. One of it’s common uses is making bicycle frames meant to take a lot of abuse. There are several different types. Ordinarily if you wanted to make your steel stronger and harder you would add these two elements to it. This also allows you to use less material to gain the same strengths. The strongest steel alloys all use lot’s of Molybdenum.

Dutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back