What is best large deer to possibly Elk rifle?

leedesert

I will be researching what is the best rifle to purchase for large deer and elk. I will be moving possibly to the north or even Alaska so I want a rifle that is not a burden to carry, strong enough to take down and elk, and a reasonable cost.
There is a chance I may hunt Mt. Lion or Grizzly. Any suggestions?

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

This is another one of those questions that can be asked of 100 people and you'll likely receive 100 different answers. I'm not going to say that what I use is the best, but it is the best for me - you'll need to try different ones out and see what works best for you, and not worry about what everyone else thinks is best.

That having been said - The best setup for me - my "all around" deer/elk gun (which-with my help) just took a 330+ 7X7 AZ bull this season) is a 15 year old Ruger M77R chambered in .300 Win Mag. I have a Leupold VariX II 3X9 variable w/adj obj mounted as well as a swivel base Harris bipod and a sling. I use heavier bullets when hunting elk and lighter for deer. I feel that the .300 is more than enough to take any big game animal in North America. However, IMHO shot placement is more important than caliber selection. If you can't hit consistently with a magnum caliber, but can with a .270 or 30-06, then thats what you should use.

Bottom line - get what feels good, pleases you, you can afford, and most of what you can consistently hit your target with. Then practice, practice, practice.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

DWJ

For the lower 48...

any name brand 30-06, for alaska (and BEARS) get a bigger gun, like a .375.

Dr.Rob

I have a picture of a 10 foot Brown hanging in the shop that a customer shot with a 25/06 so that proves that a good marksman can get away with things that might kill an ordinary shot. If you are going to hunt bear then a 300 win will do the job for you. Better to be over gunned and not need it as be under gunned and need it.

Thanks guy's. I was kinda deciding between a 300win or rem ultramag and a 30-06. What is the difference in load variations between a 300 and a 30-06? I noticed any thing over a 338 caliber the price sky rockets.

------------------

.30-06. You're far more likely to have hunted deer for a while before you ever get your chance at grizzly, and by that time, you'll be comfortable with your rifle. Better a man who's intimate with his '06 than a guy who flinches from his magnum. (That said, I love my .300 Win Mag to death, but I recognize that it's FAR more gun than I need for deer, and I don't really need it for elk.)

If you standardize on a good controlled-expansion 180 for your .06, you'll know where that bullet will hit at each range, every time, and a well-placed shot can bring down anything on this continent.

The fun is the deciding...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Well, I just put a Savage 110, 300 win, with Simmons scope on layaway. I forgot to get the details on the exact model number and the size of the scope but I can say the scope is larger then normal. It has a synthetic frame and is in excellent condition. The savage stamp on the bolt cylinder is as if new. I've been told that is the first thing to rub off after some use. The price was $395 but because I shop there regular he let me have it for $350. Is this a good deal?

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited December 28, 1999).]

Try looking at a .35 whelen. It's based on a standard 30/06 case necked up to .35 cal. Plenty of juice for big deer, bear, elk and moose at moderate ranges. A 225 grn sierra sbt with enough imr 4064 to reach 2650 fps and you can take anything on this continent. The recoil is a bit stiffer than the 30/06 but not near as rough as the .338 mag with game taking energy about the same as the 338 with same weight bullets. Guns are kinda scarce but there still out there. remington makes factory ammo and allmost all brands make .35 whelen dies.

Thanks everyone. I took the downpayment off my layaway when I found I can order a new Savage 110 package with sling, case, 300win, and scope for $375. A local dealer always hooks me up. I'll wait till spring to get it. The $35 I had on the used Savage went towards more Y2K ammo. I hate it when that happens...=)

Have a safe Y2K all.

------------------

Thanks everyone. I took the downpayment off my layaway when I found I can order a new Savage 110 package with sling, case, 300win, and scope for $375. A local dealer always hooks me up. I'll wait till spring to get it. The $35 I had on the used Savage went towards more Y2K ammo. I hate it when that happens...=)

Have a safe Y2K all.

------------------

Back