What is/are the difference(s) between the Smith & Wesson model 14 and model 15?

Wheel-Gunner

Today I was at one of my favorite gun shops and was looking at some of their used Smith's. I had a model 14 and a model 15 out side by side and couldn't really see the difference between the two. Both K frames, both had adjustable rear sights, both blued of course.......couldn't see a difference.

So what are the differences between the 14 and 15? Which is more valuable? Which is more desirable? I sure some folks have some knowledge regarding the story behind these two revolvers. After all, I am primarily here to learn and help others do the same.

Also, can either model be found with a tapered barrel?

Depending on the time period both models have had similar and different features. Generally speaking, the model 14 was offered with a 6" or 8.375" barrel and the 15 with a 4" or 2" barrel.
That said, S&W did offer a very limited number of model 14's with a 4" barrel mainly for police departments and USAF.
To confuse a little more, S&W also offered a few model 15's with 6" barrel from 1986 to 1992 and a 8.375" barrel from 1986 to 1988 and while rare, a 5" version.
Model14's are blued with a few rare nickel examples known to exist while the model 15 could be had in both finishes.
14's were target guns and had patridge front sights vs. ramp sights on the 15.
There are also minor differences with the taper or non taper of the forward top section of the frame where the barrel attaches as well as different profiles of the barrels depending on the time period. Usually the 14 had heavy barrel and the 15 a tapered barrel, except for the 2".
Hope this helps a little.

Jim

Last edited:
Layton,

Being a bit of a Model 15 lover, you certainly confused me.

Are you sure the USAF models had the bull barrel of the
Model 14 in 4 inch?

I know of an Ohio police department that wanted the Model
14 bull barrel on the Model 15, meaning a 4-inch model.

And what about 1982 when it seems the Model 15 started
having the bull barrel as regular production but the Model
14 basically started to fade, meaning non-produced? Hence,
barrels more than 4-inches.

And today, the Model 67 has the bullish barrel dating back
to 1982 but in stainless steel.

Just for the record, the Model 67 had the tapered barrel
when it started in 1971.

S&W offered a small quantity of 4" heavy barrel model 14's with a patridge front sight to the Air Force marked "AFPG". This is in addition to the model 15's sold to the Air Force.

And like I said, depending on the time period barrel profiles changed. I would have to do a lot of typing to cover all of it.:)

Jim

Layton,

I stand corrected on the USAF buys; slid over your word "limited' and
I bow to your knowledge.

For the OP, I think basically it's enough to say the Model 15 had
in its inception a tapered barrel in 4 or 2 inch
and the Model 14 as is popularly
thought had the bullish barrel in 6 inches or 8 3/8s.

P.s: Not considering the earlier non model designs;
thinking here the K-38 6-inchers.

Howdy

The Model 14 usually came with a Patridge front sight while the Model 15 usually came with a Baughman Quick Draw front sight.

The Model 14 was a continuation of the older K-38, the Model 15 was a continuation of the K-38 Combat Masterpiece with the shorter barrel and Baughman front sight.

This is a typical Model 14 with a six inch barrel and Patridge front sight.

model14-302_zps27a85ad6.jpg

Not a Model 15, but this K-22 Combat Masterpiece has a Baughman front sight. A little bit indistinct, but hopefully you can see the difference. Quick Draw meant it would not snag on a holster when being drawn. The Patridge sight was a target sight.

k22%20combat%20masterpiece%2001_zpsduyc8ih1.jpg

When you say 'tapered barrel' it depends on what you mean. My Model 14 has a heavy, non-tapered barrel with a full width rib.

The K-38 at the bottom of this photo has a slightly tapered barrel, with narrow barrel rib. The one with the funky grips is a bit later and has the same non tapered barrel and full width rib as my Model 14.

2k38s02_zps0886d89f.jpg

It appears somebody customized the Patridge front sight on the 'funky' K-38, filing away the undercut on the rear face. You can the difference in the non-tapered barrel with full width rib and the slightly tapered barrel with the narrow rib.

twomuzzles_zpse2f9ec9d.jpg

If you want a 38 caliber Smith with target sights and no rib and a real tapered barrel, you are going to have to look for one of the old Military and Police Target Models. This one was made in 1917. It has the old, less convenient to use target rear sight with two teeny screws. You back one out, then screw the one on the other side in to push the sight over, then snug up the first screw.

MP%20target%2001_zpszvedd98o.jpg

Basically the barrel is the only difference in the original models.

14 usually 6" or longer. Heavy contour, Patridge sight.

15 usually 4" and shorter. Tapered contour, ramp sight.

A few special order 14s were made with 4" & 5" barrels.

Most people cite the M&P Model 10 as the classic S&W but my vote goes to the Combat Masterpiece Model 15.

standard.jpg

As I recall, when S&W brought out the Masterpiece series after WWII, the first guns had tapered barrels and narrow ribs. They then offered the Heavy Masterpiece series with barrel diameter and rib width fudged so all calibers, .22, .32, and .38 came out the same weight, 38.5 oz at 6 inches. I once had a 1951 Gun Digest showing both versions.

In later years, you got some of the odd combinations mentioned above. Special orders and parts cleanup. I recall seeing a new 4" heavy barrel with short ramp and post sight in a store in the 1970s. I do not remember whether it was labeled as a short M14 or heavy M15.

To answer the questions about which one being more valuable or desirable, for value I would say that the typical blued 6" Model 14 is slightly more costly than the typical blued 4" Model 15. The nickel and 2" versions of the Model 15 usually bring a higher price. The 8-3/8" barrel version of the Model 14 may bring a higher price than the 6" Model 14, but not always.

As for desirability, I would say the model 15 never goes out of fashion but the Model 14 has more ups and downs. When Bullseye matches were more popular, the Model 14 was one of the standards, and it has always been an excellent target revolver. The Model 15 has a history with many police agencies and the U.S. Air Force. It is also easier to carry, but it isn't what most of us think of as a good concealed carry option.

The 14 and 15 are the same basic gun, with different accessories. As mentioned, the 14 usually comes with a target front sight. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made the short run of 4" 14s with ramp sights.

The 14 often comes with the wider target trigger and hammer and has a trigger overtravel stop. IMO, the 14 was considered something of a flagship model and would get a bit more hand fitting than say a Model 10 on a police contract. Both of mine have very smooth double action triggers.

They are very accurate.

4 and 5 inch model 14s, according to Mullin, were ordered by police Departments. Usually through Smith and Wesson custom shop to get the heavy barrel configuration. They are not very common. I've only seen a couple.

They are the same basic gun, optioned for different purposes. The 15 is the numerical model continuation of the Combat Masterpiece. The 14 is the numerical model continuation of the Target Masterpiece.

The 14 tends to have 6" or longer barrels. The 15 is more commonly found with a 4" barrel. The 15 has a sight designed for drawing from a holster, the 14 a target sight. The 14 has a trigger overtravel stop, the 15 doesn't. The 14 tends to have the wide target trigger and wide target hammer, but exceptions exist.

So if you want a holster gun, get a 15. If you want a dedicated target gun, get a 14. They are very accurate.

Back