What is an estimate of cost to hunt bear in Alaska?

johnelmore

Im thinking of going on a hunt up in Alaska. Im aware of the various regulations such as you need a guide to go hunting bear up there. So how much does it cost? Dare I ask? Should I take out a second mortgage? Also what rifle would you take?

Inland Grizzly or coastal brown bear? Inland grizzly would be less expensive, but not sure how much. They aren't much bigger than black bear either so most anything you'd feel comfortable with for black bear would work.

I asked a guide who posts on another forum a while back just out of curiosity. He told me $20,000-$40,000 depending on the outfitter for brown bear. That doesn't include transportation there and back or taxidermy.

I know that my taxidermist checked into it and found it a lot cheaper to fly to Russia and hunt there rather than Alaska. We didn't discuss price, but he said it was 1st class.

If you just want the Alaskan experience do a DIY black bear hunt. $3000-5000 should get it done easy in southeast Alaska. I shot a nice black bear on Kupernoff island back in 2006 and paid a little over $3000, but I went way overboard over thinking the gear I'd need. I went back in 2010 and spent around $1500, but didn't see a bear we could close the gap on.

i checked on bear-elk and mule deer hunts with out fitters and they all were over the top on prices, that i went to africa with a good friend in 2013(30days) and back again by my self in 2014(25 days) and will go again in may of this year by my self, i made some very good friends over on the first hunt and will go with the same people again and again. i was lucky to get with some south africans who hunt in botswana and south africa and were willing to take me along at very good prices, they made me feel like one of their familes and i stayed with them. eastbank.

I have always wanted to go to Russia bear hunting. I have looked at several outfitters. I never asked the question if I could take my rifle, but in all the pictures they have sent me over the years the hunters had some very nice rifles in their hands. Definitely american rifles. Most of the scopes were Leupold scopes. Russia is all about money so I am sure they are very easy to work with when you are the one spending it.

the russian bear hunts are very expensive, you can,t fly from ak acrossed the bering sea to russia. you must take the long way around and fly on russian airlines and it takes alot of money to grease the hands of officals at every turn. i have a friend who went last year and he will not go again and he has the money to hunt any where in the world. eastbank.

Back