What is a Space Gun???

mic007tfp

I was looking over the Compass Lake Engineering website and noticed that they offered "space gun" uppers. What exactly is a space gun? Is it meant to be placed on a ar15 lower?

Also, what are the opinions out there on the Compass Lake Engineering guns? Are they worth the $1000 or so?

------------------
You're gettin' ready to blow? I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherf**ker, motherf**ker! Every time my fingers touch brain I'm "SUPERFLY T.N.T," I'm the "GUNS OF NAVARONE."

- Jules

"Space guns" are tricked out competition AR-15's. Basicly they take competition equipment and make it look all weird. I personally don't like the look much.

The JP uppers with the "Ultramatch" barrels are commonly referred to as "one hole" guns.

Any questions?...

CMOS ;)

When you see the pics, you'll agree that Spaceguns are so tricked out, they bear little resemblence of their AR lineage. Gone is the familar black plastic stock and handguard. The former is replaced in some cases with a tubular stock with adjustable cheekpiece and shoulder pad. The homely black plastic hanguard is replaced with a free floating aluminum sleeve, which may be drilled/milled for greater ventilation. A custom barrel (probably longer than the normal 20") is mounted with a special front sight. Redfield Palma/Olympic rear aperture or equivalent for the rear. I think Compass Lake even discards the charging handle and mills out the upper to take a pull back bolt handle to the bolt carrier. Are they worth $1k plus. If you're into that type of match shooting, you betcha!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

nope thats a compensator
it hides no flash

ARs cannot remove the pistol grip evil feature with a thumbhole stock http://www.jpar15.com/customer.htm
After September 14, 1994, no lower receiver can be completed to form a
"semi-automatic" rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has two or more of the following features:

A.a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath
the action of the weapon
B.a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor (a recoil reducing
device is considered acceptable)
C.a folding or telescoping stock
D.a bayonet mount
E.a grenade launcher

What this means is that you may have a post ban ("post ban" meaning
assembled after 9/14/94) AR-15 rifle which has only one of the listed
features, and that is the pistol grip. It was previously believed by most
people in the industry that "thumb-hole" configuration stocks were a way
to technically eliminate the "pistol grip" feature on a rifle.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>However, BATF
has now interpreted the Crime Bill in such a way that it isn't possible to
construct an AR-15 type rifle without a pistol grip regardless of the stock
configuration. Because there is no way to eliminate the pistol grip feature,
you may not have a flash suppressor or a muzzle that is "threaded to
accept a currently manufactured flash suppressor." [/quote]A compensator or
recoil reducing device is acceptable as long as it is attached permanently
by pinning, welding or high temperature silver solder or attached with a
thread pattern for which there is no flash suppressor made.

dz

I thought comps didn't have to be permanently attached, but could be temporarily attached as long as the barrel wasn't threaded. I have seen several comps with set screws, and the comp I built is a mild interference fit installed/removed by heating.

Back