What is a partidge sight ?

A partridge sight is a small bird glued to the ramp at the end of your handgun barrel... :D

Ok, it's not partridge, it's PATridge.

Essentially, when you're sighting, it appears to be a vertical rectangle.

From the side view it it can have either a vertical or undercut rear face. The undercut rear face is to cut down on light glare.

Gee, thanks for the clarification, Mr. Irwin...I always thought that a PARTRIDGE sight was what that white bead on the front of my 1100 was....
...tongue-in-cheek, OF COURSE...

Last edited:
Hi, folks,

Just from curiosity, but does anyone know anything about him, even his full name? All I can find is "E. E. Patridge", and that he was a professional shooter sometime in the early 20th century.

Jim

Darn, have picture of E.E. Patridge shooting a hand ejector.
And a result sheet where he set a 100 round, 50yd single shot pistol record with a score of 942 in 1903.
(Diameter of 10 ring was 3.39". Not too shabby for standin on your hind legs and shootin one handed for a hundred rounds.)

No first or middle name, even tho other shooters are full named in the same publication.

Interesting in that his shooting stance looks very modern compared to his contemporaries. Both shoulders and gun make a line toward the target. Off hand on hip with thumb hooked in trousers. Body slightly back counterballancing the gun hand.

Sam.....duh, what was the question ?

Thanks, guys. It is a bit odd that a guy whose name is used (and often misunderstood and misspelled) so often is seemingly so obscure. I think he deserves better.

Jim

If we get it uncovered......the names behind the E. and the other E. would make a great trivia question.

If somebody has access to turn of the century (last one) records of the Massachusetts Rifle Association at Walnut Hill. Or United States Revolver Association.

I have some match results and pictures from then but no membership rosters.

Who are you E. E. ?

Sam

Back