What is a Mossberg Maverick 88?

1911Ford

I am guessing this is a discontinued model. Is it similiar to the 500. What I really want to know is if the current accesories offered like mag extensions will work on this gun.

Thanks

It's a cheap version of the Mossberg 500, believe it or not. They have a Remington style safety and cheaper internal configuration, but otherwise are the same as the Mossberg 500.

Yes, it is still in production.

No, a mag extension tube won't work - the barrel does not connect the way that the Win/Rem guns do. It has something like a plate comming down from the barrel - the end cap is essentially a screw with a very large flat head.

The Maverick is a cost-reduced Model 500 made in Mexico by a Mossberg subsidiary. They may not currently be imported but I'd bet dollars to donuts they're still being made South of the boarder. -- Kernel

I have one. 12Ga 30".
The Maveric Model 88 has two action arms connecting the forearm to the bolt. You can't extend the mag for the reasons Benjamin stated. Thousands of rounds through mine, nothing broken yet.

Point308.

The Maveric Model 88 has two action arms connecting the forearm to the bolt.
I've seen them with both one and 2 action bars. A one action bar Maverick was the only pump action shotgun that I've ever had fail in my hands. Failure to extract on a factory shell. Very unnerving.

My buddy had two riot models, one with convential stock and one with a pisto grip. Occasionally we'd get failures to fire from what appeared to be the gun not cocking despite racking the pump and chambering a new round. Seems that you needed a rather vigoruous motion to ensure that it cocked properly. He didn't seem to have a problem with it but other shooters that day did including myself anf I do a lot of pump gun shooting with everything from Winchester 1897's (that need a rather vigorous pump themselves) to 500's and 870's.

I dunno, I know others have been happy with them but for the modest price difference I'd opt for a regular 500 or a used Winchester or Remington instead.

Back