what is a match primer?

M88

Just ordered 5000 Federal LP Match primers... Match because Graf (last week anyway) didn't have anything other than that. What is the difference between standard primer and a match primer? I tied using the SEARCH to dig around this forum but couldn't find my answer.
Thank you in advance

Match primers supposedly are more consistent from one to another and should provide more consistent ignition from one to another and therefore smaller standard deviations in velocity which should in theory result in better accuracy.

In a handgun it's beyond a "good question", it probably doesn't have a good answer. I've used all brands of primers over the last twenty-five years where there have been "shortages" and in order to shoot you simply purchased what was available. During those years of scarcity, I've used Match primers in handgun loads where I substituted them for other brands of primers (except magnum). I am something of an accuracy fanatic when shooting handguns and I've had some really, really accurate handguns. I've kept pretty good records of loads and results over the years also. I have to say that I've never found the primer to be the Red X when it comes to finding that significant component that made or broke a load. In fact, it rarely made any discernible difference. You'll get much more for your effort if you do a good job of cleaning out your primer pockets and make sure your flash holes are uniform. The only primer differences I can note over time are using (or not using) magnum primers with some powders. That can show up in group size when measuring a number of five shot groups and averaging the results. Sometimes you need a magnum primer and sometimes it does nothing (talk about accuracy, not pressure). Right now I'm sitting on a bunch of Federal Match rifle primers that I've been playing with in both of my High Walls and comparing them to the same loads using other primers. Sometimes switching primers makes a bit, albeit it small difference in groups. Most times it doesn't. In a handgun it simply won't show up. The key word in primers is called brisance, the length and heat of the flame when ignited. They are not all the same, even within their designation as either magnum, non-magnum, or match. Anyway, just use what you got for any loads not calling for a magnum primer and you'll have no problem.

From what I understand, match primers are made on the same machines to the exact same specs as regular primers. Only difference is the experience of the machine operator. It's this experience that is supposed to make the difference between a standard primer and a Match grade primer. For the most part, IMHO, they ain't worth a difference in price.

Yep. They are made by the most experienced employees. That doesn't always mean they are better. I've seen tests in which a Federal standard primer outperformed their match version, but it isn't always so. So, what you buy with a match primer is basically that the M version will be no worse than the average for the standard version, though a newer worker having a good day can sometimes produce a lot that is way better than average.

The above argues mainly for buying the same lot of primers in enough quantity to last a good while. If you can sample and test it before buying very many, that's great. But often you can't be sure of going back to the source to get a larger quantity of the same lot number. So you just take a chance and buy a slip of 5000 and then test and decide whether to use it in match loads or just for general practice. It also needs to be kept in mind that while primer A may do better than primer B with a particular powder in a particular cartridge with a particular bullet weight, primer B may do better in some other combination. It also may make no difference in still another combination. This is why we test.

Chatting with a Federal rep at the nationals some years ago about primers, he said "black magic" was why their match primers typically produced more uniform velocity tests.

The primer pellet was a mix of liquids and solids who's consistency was much like chocolate fudge in a candy shop. It was called a slurry and was poured onto a smooth slab then mixed with a paddle like chocolate on granite. When the mixer man was convinced the components were uniform throughout the mix, a scoop full was put on a pelleting plate. He then used a smaller paddle smearing the mix into a few hundred holes as evenly as he could. The pelleting plate was racked to dry. Then another plate: then another until the slurry no longer filled a pelleting plate. An incomplete filled plate had some pellets with less compound slurry.

When the primer pellets were dry, they were pushed out into cups, sealed then the anvil seated. Tests were made for proper detonation and accuracy. Most uniform lots were labeled and sold as match primers.

Only a few Federal employees had this "black magic" to make very uniform primer pellets. He said other companies have a couple of these black magic wizards mixing primer slurry then making the pellets.

There's a video out showing them making primers in the factory.....google it and you'll find it. I saw it a few years ago. Somewhat interesting in that it's a less automated process than you'd expect.

It was once printed in Precision Shooting that when testing primers at the factory the most consistent batches were saved for Match primers.

Back