What is a High-Power GP Comp?

If it's the same pistol I'm thinking of then it's the Competition Model sold by Browning during the 1980s. It has an extended barrel that incorporates an integral barrel weight unit, adjustable sights, a special spring setup that increases the stability of the barrel during firing and polishing of internal parts. You can check the value in any number of firearms price guides. Rarer HPs are the ones chambered for 30 Luger and some aluminum frame HPs produced by FN for a South African contract. $1,000 seems high for a limited production pistol of such recent vintage. IMHO it would have to be unfired, with its box intact, all accessories and paperwork, and complete ownership records to approximate the asking price.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

The GP Comp is the long barrel HP. Had a parkerized finish and Pachmayr rubber grips that came in a plastic foam lined box with the accessories. The front sight is mounted on the muzzle piece on the end of the barrel. It is not really a weight, but is what the slide presses against to force the barrel forward so it locks up tighter. The rear sight is a stamped piece of sheet metal shaped like a sight. The trigger bar pivot has been moved to the rear on these pistols (a conversion for the regular HP is available from C&S) and automatically gives you a pound to pound and a half reduction in trigger pull due to the better leverage. Austin Behlert of Behlert Precision (I think he is dead and his son in law took over) told me that I could not have a 2.5-3 pound trigger on a HP using factory parts. He was amazed. It is a super sweet shooting pistol, my son even used mine to qualify for his Texas CHL. $1000 is WAY TOO HIGH for that gun. It should run about $650-$750 depending on condition. I see the GP Comp uppers (slide and barrel assembly) for sale at gun shows all the time (especially at the Wannamaker show in Tulsa), so it would be easy to convert your existing HP to a GP Comp and have two guns in one. If you buy one used you must check to see how bad a shape the lugs are in. There is a little flat piece of spring steel mounted to the slide about an inch back from the front. That spring is suppose to press the barrel down to aid lock up, but is a poor design and results in the barrel unlocking too quickly and damaging the lugs. It should be cut out and a ball detent lock up can be fitted to the muzzle piece. I had a Peter Stahl polygonal rifled barrel from Germany installed and it had a new muzzle piece for it with the new tension system that does not allow premature unlock. It is a fine pistol, just be careful of one that has fired more than a few thousand rounds without the fix. A very nice addition to this pistol is the Sprinco recoil reducer. Many who have shot my pistol think it is the nicest pistol that they have ever shot, even better than my SIG P210.

[This message has been edited by Jeff OTMG (edited November 29, 1999).]

Back