What is a good Wood?

othermarc

I may be buying a nice wood stock, and was wondering what type of wood is good for a high power rifle. I was thinking something on the heavy side might be best.

othermarc: If your heart is set on wood, and you want a dense wood with lots of figure, circassian walnut or french walnut is absolutely beautiful. It is, however, pretty much of a custom proposition. Ready mades in high qualify woods are available, but Rinehart Fajen has, I believe, gone out of business. I don't know of anyone else who produces high quality ready made stocks.

Fajen has indeed gone out of business. R Fajen sold the business several years ago and the group that bought it pretty much ran it into the ground, from what I've heard.
A couple of the old-time Fajen employees (from Fajen's Missouri days) have started a new company. Can't recall any more info except that they're located in Lincoln MO and I believe it's called Weigner or something like that.

othermark, what rifle are you wanting to stock in wood? The highly figured woods are the most difficult to carve and inlet due to the changing grain patterns. If you want to just give it a try yourself and are willing to purchase more than a few tools try one of Richard's Microfit stocks. The term Microfit is BS but you sometimes get a nice hunk of wood for near nothing. If you are wanting a wood stock on your M1A get a birch or heavy straight grained walnut and glass bed it.
Anyway, I like the look of wood!
Good Shooting, Hank

Fajen was bought by Midway and they still have some stocks available for the more popular rifles - Remington 700's especially.

I have to agree with Mike Spight - the two walnuts listed are the most beautiful available.

Mikey

Back