What is a good rifle for a lefty?

Corey

I am a south paw and I have been shooting a Winchester M70 for a right handed person. I have had enough of using a bolt action like a single shot and am looking for a new rifle. I was wondering if anyone knew of any models of left handed (bolt action) or ambidextrous (falling block)that shot well for a decent price (lower than $1000 Canadian). I am primarily interested in .270 win or 6.5x55 if it helps.

Try a Remington 700, which comes in a left-handed model (long action) in .270. You should be able to order one since this model is featured consistently in their catalog. There is also the Ruger M77 if you wish to go for a little less $$. I use the Remington myself and like it very much for a production rifle.

As a southpaw, I bought my first Remington over 20 years ago. It's still with me and I've bought a couple more since then. Customer Satisfaction? You bet!

Blaser home.t-online.de/home/blaser.jagdwaffen/homeengl.htm currently has a unigue convertible bolt action rifle. Savage www.savagearms also has several left handed models. If .308 is an acceptable caliber, Browning and Savage both produce/produced .308 lever actions. Browning, Ruger and several smaller makers also produce single shot faling block-style rifles. I'm also left handed and I currently have several lever guns in my safe.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited March 17, 1999).]

Corey,
Let me throw in my .02 as another southpaw shooter.
I have always been P***ed at Remington because the only lefty bolt they offer is the ADL. Two strikes, long action and blind magazine. I HATE that! Won't but a Remington rifle until I can get a left handed .308 700DBM. If they don't want my money that much, then they won't get it. The second they come out with that LH DBM though, all's forgiven! :D
Some like Savage, some don't. Give them a look. Their quality is not always top notch so you may want to hand it over to your local riflemeister for some serious tuning, but at those prices, you're still doing okay.
How about the Ruger No.1? GREAT ambi rifle! Pretty much shooter's choice when it comes to caliber availability too. Mine's in 45/70.

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

All good responses, but the Ruger M77 MkII also lists as being available in a left hand version. Price is the same as their standard version, $574 ($872 Canadian) on my list.

Corey,

Sounds like there are several left handed shooters around. I'm one also but I go for the right handed rifles. The reason is I like to trade and sale from time to time and I can move the right handed rifle easier. I shoot ground hogs and other pesty critters from the bed of my truck sitting in a chair and my rifle on a steady rest on top of my camera tripod, that makes working the bolt with my right hand pretty quick.
All of the choices that the others mentioned are good as far as I can see.

-----------
Keep your eyes on the skyline and watch your top knot

fal308 mentioned that he has a southpaw AR that squirts cases out from the left side of the receiver.

Well, I got my DPMS southpaw receiver about a month ago and my 16" barrel this month. I plan to assemble it to a Bushmaster lower along with an ambidextrious safety and a Norgon ambi mag release. Not that any of this is necessary, it's just what this southpaw wants to do with his money.

Took my ARs out again yesterday and shot. The lefty throws brass 180 degrees opposite from the right hand weapon. I've also put an ambi safety on mine and it works great. Hoping to pick up a couple of the Norgons. Mykl did a review on it a while back and sold me on them. Power Custom has also come out with an ambi mag release.

Gary
What was your wait time on the receiver? Mine ended up being about 5 months if I remember correctly.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited March 21, 1999).]

fal308,

No bolt hold open on the last shot? Waaah! That means I'll have to either load tracer (a no no in Kalifornia) or relearn to count. I guess 20 round magazines and Birkenstocks will be going with me to the range.

In response to your inquiry, my wait time was only about 1 month. Mind you, mine came nekkid (stripped). However, wait time for the Bushmaster lower goes on, and on and on; just like the Duracell Bunny. As long as I get it before they're outlawed here in Kalifornia, I won't complain. Now, about our laws here in the Workers' Paradise, that's another story...

Back