what is a clip?

Jesse H

Thanks to TFL, I've learned that the doo-hickey you put the bullets in are called magazines, not clips.

What then, is a clip?

Bored at 2:45 am...

Clips are little metal things holding cartridges on the primer end. Guns like the Mauser C-96 and the M-1 Garand use them. To reload the gun, the clip is inserted and bolt released.

More properly, it is a box magaine in your pistol.

Don't confuse bullet and cartridge.

Insomnia at 4 AM

To add to what croyance said, clips can also be used to charge a magazine, as when loading a bolt action rifle or loading a detachable box magazine.

A couple of generalizations:

Clips don't have springs or followers; magazines do.

You can load a magazine with a clip; you can't load a clip with a magazine.

s_courage.JPG

[/img]http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/lifesavers/_303clip.jpg[/img]
The clip is withdrawn after the rounds get stripped into the integral magazine.

Clip loading hasn't been used for handguns since early 20th century (Styer, Mauser)

In case of Garand, the clip stays in the magazine until empty, then gets ejected.
_enblocks2.jpg

_loadinggarand.jpg

SKS is a typical design using stripper clips.
_20years.JPG

Clips are lighter and cheaper to make than magazines but can be slower to load and don't protect the ammo from damage as well.

Least we not forget full moon clips and 1/2 moon clips one could use with some revolvers. A full moon clip would hold six rounds where as a 1/2 moon clip will hold three rounds for certain revolvers. These older style clips have been replaced as of late with the more popular and easier to deal with speed loaders.

Good shooting,

Dean

Just to confuse things, some stripper clips, primarily Mauser-style clips, have springs. These are used only to keep tension on the rounds and keep them from rattling, not to aid in feeding.

The SKS stripper clip does away with the separate springs and has springy fingers cut into the back of the stripper clip that perform the same function.

A couple of definitions for clip types...

Stripper clip -- a clip which simply holds the ammo, normally by the extractor groove, until it is needed. It is normally fitted into cuts in the top of the rifle's receiver, and the ammo is pushed into the magazine by finger pressure.

Weapons that have used stripper clips include: Mauser rifles and their many derivatives, including Springfield and Arisaka rifles. Also, Moisin-Nagant and British rifles used stripper clips, as did the Roth-Steyr and Mauser C96 pistols.

Enbloc clip -- a clip that is inserted into the magazine, and is necessary for the proper functioning of the weapon. When the clip is empty, it is ejected from the rifle, and another inserted.

Weapons that have used stripper clips include: Mannlicher-Carcano rifles, the M 1 Garand, and the German 1888 Commission Rifle.

TRIVIA QUESTION!!!

When was a stripper clip an enbloc clip, too?

[Edited by Mike Irwin on 05-02-2001 at 10:51 AM]

Yeah,

Clips typically have no moving parts.

Magazines hold cartridges just prior to them being stripped off by the bolt and into the chamber for firing. They universally have a spring loaded follower to push the cartridges into place.

Back in my college days...

A clip is something you use to keep from burning your lips while burning the roach of a doob.

But I never inhaled mind you, I just passed the joint on to the next person in the circle...

And I did not have sex with 'that' woman either.

"These older style clips have been replaced as of late with the more popular and easier to deal with speed loaders. "

Must take issue with that statement, I have recently become interested in revolvers again if only for the speed advantages that the moon clips offer over speedloaders. I agree that speedloaders are somewhat easier to deal with but with the proper tools not a lot easier. I strongly disagree with the notion that moon clips "have been replaced". My newest wheelguns, a 625 and a 610, would also disagree as would many other shooters that frequent the revolver forum.

Moon clips are actually going through something of a renaissance with shooters in some of the speed-style shooting games.

The advantages of the moon clip there are it is a single unit which is dropped into the gun, instead of a separate unit holding ammo, meaning that none of the rounds can accidently drop out of the gun.

It also greatly enhances reliability in ejection of the empty cases. If you've ever gotten a .38 Spl. case UNDER the extractor star on your revolver, you'll know what an advantage this is.

No, moon clips are FAR from being replaced.

My deepest and sincerest appoligies to all you revolver shooters out there for incorrectly stating that moon clips have been "replaced" by speed loaders. No offense was intended. It is good to know that they not only have not been replaced but have been rediscovered and found new life. And yes once loaded, they do work well both on insertion and ejection.

Good shooting,

Dean

Mike Irwin asked, "When was a stripper clip an enbloc clip, too?"

Answer: When the rifle is a Mannlicher-Carcano. The clip falls through an aperture in the bottom of the magazine after the last round is chambered.

Oleg Volk said, "Clip loading hasn't been used for handguns since early 20th century (Styer, Mauser)"

Never say never (or words to that effect). Ever hear of the Grendel P10? Used M16 stripper clips to load 10-rounds of .380. Most assuredly a late-20th century pistol -- albeit pretty unique in using clip loading.

Back