What is a Browning HI Power GP Comp 9mm

When I was attending college way back when I worked in a hunting/ fishing store. We sold a few ot these when the owner bought a batch from a jobber or distributor an a great price. They didn't exackly fly out the door. BTW It was nothing more than a long barreled Hi-Power. The slide was the same length as the standard pistol but the barel was about an extra inch longer. This longer portion of slide had an extension around it. It was a weight really, held in place by what appeared to be two allen head screws on the bottom part which was scalloped to match the scallop of the slide. It sort of looked like a recoil compensator which was an extesion of the slide. No porting though. Something like when a smith builds a comp on a Commander that looks like a full sized Government pistol when viewed sideways and the slide is closed. I recall the pistol did not have an extended guide rod to match the barrel. The finish of the gun was a matte grey with black plastic grips. The fit was very tight and a pain to reassemble after field stripping. I think this is the same pistol you are referring to.

thank you, I also found an article on it from my old gun magazine pile. It appears that the GP Comp is one of the most accurate hi-power out of the factory...Also, it was shipped with 14-rd mags. :)

Back