What if SG shells were crimped like blanks?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Ever seen 45acp shot loads or blanks? They are crimped into a cone. I am just curious...wouldn't making shotgun ammo shaped like this make them more reliable in box magazine fed shotguns? In fact, I can see how such a sehll would protect the tip of copper slug with a pointed nose, good for punching through tough hides.

I'm not sure how safe I'd feel with cone-crimped shells in a tube mag though, especially if they had pointed nose slugs inside em. Something about "recoil-induced detonation".. ;)

For box mag fed SGs they might be nice, but I haven't seen very many box mag SGs around, even with the feds.

Some of the "Paradox" loads for shotguns were crimped like this, as well as most of the brass-cased shells for the Greener GP police shotguns; both of these date from before auto-loading shotguns were really popular, though.

Oleg,

This would only work with a casing made completly out of some type of metal. The way modern plastic shells are crimped is the only way to crimp them since it is the only way you can get a solid crimp that will hold and provide enough resistance for the shell to get up to proper operating pressure when firing.

Back