What IDPA skill do you most need to practice???

sidaemon

So I run a funshoot at the local range. There are a couple of big state matches coming up, and while the shoot is not designed to be an IDPA shoot I'd like to give everyone a bit more time to practice their skills.

As such I'd like to set up a few stages based around common skills that people need help with.

For me: Tactical priority. For the longest time, generally my IDPA club sets stages up around engaging targets with a double tap, so when a stage requires the old 1-1-2-1-1 engagement... Lets just say there are some nasty proceedurals.

So what skills would you need to practice???

yeah the rapid or tactical reloads are a must to practice for most. a few of us just ran through the drills this weekend in preparation for a match 2 weeks from now and I was really ******* people off on my reload skills :D that is where I make all my points/time up and where they lose points/time

I got my practice in during my "exercises" in my multiple deployments where the targets were shooting back:p it really helps to increase your speed and abilities. :p

Shooting while moving and weakhand shooting. Also long range shooting-20 yards on the classifier has been killing me.

Last edited:
IDPA Skills to Practice?

Weak hand shooting. Not hard to do both or strong hand, but weak hand cause it is not called on in weekly or monthly matches, only in the big matches.

i'm pretty new to idpa. in fact next month will be my 3rd match. after my first match i was dissapointed with my reloads.(i'm new to idpa but not shooting) so i spent some time practicing and at my second match i was really pleased. it may sound dumb but practice really makes a difference(duh)

here is how i did it: i have a gas powered air soft gun that is modeled after a glock 19 ( my competition gun) i charged both mags with gas and loaded the first into the pistol. i released the slide and fired (just gas) at my target, the slide locked back. i ejected the first and inserted the other mag from my belt, released the slide and fired. i continued this for the remaining charges on both mags(around 80 cycles) i felt that i was gianing expertise with several skills at once, of course reloads, but also sight picture reacquisiton, grip and trigger finger, and weak hand position. not to mention general dexterity with my fire arm.

i am very far from knowing ANY thing about idpa but i personally feel that practice with a gas powered airsoft gun can be helpful. my g19 and airsoft replica have alot in common but also have many differences. i dont feel airsoft replaces range time in any way but it can be a good supplement.

ive just been practicing quick reloads and keeping my finger out of the trigger gaurd at the right times for my first match im going to try this weekend

For the majority of shooters, all of the activities and movements that take place when NOT shooting are what needs practice. You can save small fractions of seconds with quicker splits and transitions, but you can save seconds when starting and stopping, getting into shooting positions, reloading, etc. Me, I need to practice, period. :)

My problem is shooting while on the move...I missed 3 of 4 shots on two targets right by each other tonight! I wish I could practice it in my back yard but live too close to town.

Mine wasnt an IDPA event, more of a fun event but alot of the guys shoot IDPA.

Tactical priority is a good one to practice too..I messed that up too a bit.

Reloading under cover is good too

Back