What I learned at the range today

chris in va

1. AK's are very fun to shoot.
2. AK's get very friggin HOT.
3. Almost empty 1lb propane tanks blow up very nicely with a fire behind them.
4. Bowling pins get boring to shoot at after a while.
5. Don't shoot bowling pins with a shotgun.
6. HiPoint 9mm carbines are a hoot and pretty darn accurate.
7. 300 rounds of 9mm isn't enough.
8. The 7.62x54 cartridge does some pretty good damage.
9. Gallon jugs don't do much with 9mm or .40.
10. Cheap 1.97 12-packs of soda make great targets. :D
11. I need a .45. :p
12. My thumb hurts. :rolleyes:

Chris, I'm happy to see that you had a good time. Guns are fun, bowling pins do get boring, and the whole point of it being, you have fun while you train to protect.

SKS's get pretty fringging hot also, but you will still have the AK, SKS snobs that come around :D.

I'm going on vacation next week, I think I will go and make things hot also.

Wayne

Oh yes, soooo much fun to be had... Thought I'd share this bit of fun too--goes along with your propane tank.

http://www.geocities.com/hillsjim/Salute-1.JPG

This is from last year's annual Christmas Day shoot. So what is it? Well, I'm part of the local pyro crew for the 4th of July display. Every year we end up with a few "duds" that we have to report and then "dispose of"... A small caliber ultra-high velocity rifle bullet does the job nicely :D This WAS a 3" Titanium Salute hit by a 40 gr. .223 at about 60 yards (it's more fun when you're close enough to feel the concussion---lol). The fireball in the second frame is about 12 feet across and that vertical streak is the concussion wave. Oh, the fun to be had when there aren't restrictions!

8. The 7.62x54 cartridge does some pretty good damage.

I took my "new" Mos-Nag '44 to the range today. I'm really glad I put a buttpad on that thing before I started shooting. :eek:
I think you've convinced me to put a Hi-Point carbine on the Christmas list.
Where did you shoot? I seem to recall you were looking for a place, right?

Extremely jealous Rangefinder. :D

Apple...it's a place 30 minutes from Winchester where I live. You need a friggin 4wd just to get there. 100 yard rifle and probably...35 yard pistol?

It's so junky though you'd be in shock compared to the NRA range, etc.

Chris---300 rounds of any caliber is not enough. Start reloading and keep at least 1k for each caliber you have in the safe (If you have one). Just barely enough IMHO :D

My friend shot at the pins with some 7 1/2 shot from my 20ga and one of the pellets hit him in the nose, from about 25 yards. We were all wearing safety glasses fortunately.

I went to look at the pin and hardly any of the shot actually penetrated the surface. When I get a .45, I probably won't shoot pins with that either from all the stories I've heard. 9mm and 40 seem to work fine.

Good thread!
I went shooting with a couple of co-workers yesterday.
They didn't bring any armament or ordnance, but I did. ;)
They learned a few things.....

1. An MG 34 will (rather impressively) destroy a 16" oscillating fan.
2. An MG 34 is really fun to shoot.
3. A 9mm submachine gun with a .22 conversion is really fun (and not too expensive) to shoot.
4. A 16" oscillating fan makes a big mess to clean up after destroying it with an MG 34. :D

There is no reason not to shoot a bowling pin with a .45 ACP. It will be reduced to a pile of sawdust and plastic shell in no time. Try hanging pin on a small nylon line strung horizonly, suspended. Then try to hit it the second and third while still swinging. Full body hits will have it reduced in about 25-30 shots. nickers of any caliber will glance off to sides, so have a really good back stop. I drill top and screw in a I-bolt, tie directly to line with an additional line though to stabalize side ways. Shots from 12 to 20 yards, never experienced any difficulties to date, except, piles of dusty debris and plastic bowling pin shells. Nines and forties just require a few more shots for same results. Rifle calibers ain't fair.

A Shotgun with slugs is fun to watch against a bowling pin. Doesn't take as many rounds as a .45 (or anything else for that matter) to make trash out of one. :D

Harlie---Does this qualify as a "rifle caliber"?

Back