What has been your most "accurate" .45 round?

ATTICUS

I am going to be shooting a Kimber Government model in a league this winter. I've put about 600 rounds through it so far and have shot a few different commercial brands with similar results,mostly good. I'm a little short on time and need to start the process of finding out which factory load (I'm not a reloader..yet) is the most accurate for me and this pistol. I'm sure many of you have gone through this process. What has been the best combo for you?

ATTICUS,

I have a Gov't length Kimber and it seems to like Winchester "White Box" 230grn FMJ. I've never had a malfunction with this or any other ammo in my Kimber and I find the round very pleasant to shoot.

JJCII

For accuracy in a .45 it is usually the 230 grain Federal Hydra Shok - but in my working Springfield its the Hornady Custom.

You can use any reputable hardball to

get acceptable IPSC/IDPA accuracy, including Winchester (USA) White Box, Sellier & Bellot, Federal, etc. Once you start reloading you will prolly gravitate to Lead semiwadcutters. My load is 6.0gr Unique topped with a 200gr LSWC. Shoots nice tight groups. YMMV

IMO:

In general, Sellier and Bellot is the most accurate and functionally reliable cheapo FMJ.

Federal 230g Hydrashock JHP or Remington 230g Golden Saber JHP is a toss up on the expensive end.

Probably depends on what your gun likes more than anything else.

Another vote for Sellier & Bellot here. I use all I can get in both 9mm and 45ACP. It's my first choice when ammo shopping.

Joe

230 grain Fed HS (tackdriving load)

Believe it or not, my Glock 21 just LOVES Federal Hydra Shok 230 grain. It groups amazing groups with this load. I have gotten groups under 1.5" @ 25 yards (with a sandbag rest) using 230 grain HS. At 15 yards (on a sandbag rest), it makes one large .75" hole (discounting an occasional flyer). It is interesting that my G21 shoots my duty ammo more accurately than regular ball. The only problem is Hydra Shoks only come in boxes of 20 (so I don't shoot them as much as regular ball).

I am in the process of doing that right now. I have a Glock 30. So far, it seems to like S&B 230gr FMJ over PMC's, and it also prefers Federal 185gr HydroShok over 185gr Winchester Silvertip. I have not gotten into the 230grJHP loads yet.

.45 accuracy

Someone at TFL once referred to PMC ammo as "pretty much crap." I came to agree with this assessment after comparing its accuracy to Sellier & Belliot FMJ.

You can order 185 grain semi-wadcutter, the most accurate round I've used in .45 ACP, from

http://www.georgia-arms.com

or

http://www.miwall.com

Miwall also carries S & B at good prices.

Regards,

Ledbetter

My P220 likes the 230 grain HyrdaShok. With CCI Blazer 230gr. next. Haven't tried the stuff from Georgia Arms or Miwall. Ledbetter, how clean is that stuff? Thanks.

How clean is it?

Both Georgia Arms and Miwall ammo is very clean. Both sell some of the best "non-premium" ammo I've used. They sell 1000 round cans of loose ammo at discount. Try them. Watch out for shipping costs.

Regards.

I like yellow box umc 230 gr ball ammo, but when i load my own its a 200 gr bevel based semi wad cutter by lasercast sitting on 5 grains of red dot and a cci large pistol primer. i've loaded up to 5-.5 grains of red dot with this load but it gets a lot of flash (unburned powder)

I made another HOT load from a 200 gr jacketed flat point on 9 grains of AA #5.. thats a barn burner and the flash is moderate but slide velocity is high. I really like this load but its twice as expensive as red dot and you use twice as much.

Thanks for the advice,links and reloading info amigos! Sounds like S&B is worth a try for starters. I think it's time to get my butt into the reloading hobby as well. I'll probably be pickin brains on that topic shortly.

THE MOST ACCURATE .45 ACP Factory ammo, in a WIDE VARIETY of handguns that I've fired, has been thr Federal 185 gr. SWC "Match" load...think they NOW call it "Gold Medal"...very accurate, very consistent from lot to lot...hard to go wrong with it....mikey357

Cheaper than dirt sells S&B for about 8.97 a box you have to buy a case 1000 rnds and the shipping costs are 14.95
this is about the cheapest I have found.:D

Back