• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

What happened yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcoastie

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I didn't see anything about it...

I couldn't access TFL from about 0900 yesterday morning until at least 2200 last night.

Was it a problem with the site? Or did something go wrong on my end?
(all other websites I frequent worked fine)

For a while, they had their DNS entry re-mapped to a page explaining what happened. If I remember correctly, they had a server go down as a result of the Linux "leap second" error. I'm not sure whether they went the route of configuring a new server and reloading it from backups, or if they just worked with the existing server until they got it working. Regardless, I'm glad it's back up and running!

The leap second issue was only indirectly responsible; there were at least a couple of leap second bugs in the linux kernel: the first would have caused a crash on Saturday, but didn't affect this server. The second caused excessive CPU utilization starting at midnight July 1st.

While rebooting to try to clear up that leap second CPU bug, the server ended up hanging while trying to start mysql, before the webserver or ssh was started. I'm still not sure why it didn't timeout eventually and continue with the startup, but it didn't. I haven't had a chance today to poke around and look.

Ideally the problem would have been fixed quickly, but the colo situation is less than ideal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back