• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

What happened to the forum software?

Beginning yesterday (Tuesday, January 24) I'm experiencing a glitch when navigating the forum. Usually, when I go into any forum area (such as "Semi Autos"), the threads that have been added or updated since my last visit have their titles in bold. Starting yesterday, the bolded titles go back several days and cover two to three screen pages before I get to the un-bolded titles.

When it happened last night I thought I might be imagining things, but for a test I manually logged out, then logged back in using the "Remember Me" box. Today, Wednesday the 25th, everything back through January 22 is bolded.

I don't think it is my computer because (a) I haven't made any changes, and (b) this glitch affects only TFL, it doesn't affect any of several other forums that also use vBulletin.

Have y'all changed anything?

I saw a notification regarding unread posts, because of the fact that inactivity would mark threads as read. But I'm also experiencing several days worth of "unread" posts

I just invoked Quick Link / Mark Forums Read to get around this. As they said, they *have* changed the way things work...

Regards,

Mark.

No, because I was not presented with anything to read. Thanks to Young Gun and Cap'n Chaos I tracked down a thread explaining that a change was made, and I have to say (as I did in that thread) that the change makes no sense, and the proposed work-around makes no sense.

There should be an option to highlight threads posted or updated since a member's last visit. That's what most vBulletin forums use, and I respectfully submit that's what most people expect. It doesn't expire due to inactivity ... ever. It changes when a member logs out or navigates away from the vBulletin site, and it updates to a new "Since last visit" time/date marker the next time the member comes back to the site.

Captain Chaos said:
I just invoked Quick Link / Mark Forums Read to get around this.
Well, I just tried that. Now it shows NOTHING as being new since my last visit.

I don't see that as being any improvement at all.

This is the only vbulletin run board that I visit, so I don't know what others expect. I do, suspect that TFL is far larger than the average vbulletin forum.

That said, the system we're using now requires a lot more memory to pull it off. In essence, it customizes the "read/unread" list for every member individually.

To make it endlessly persistent for each member would require an exponentially expanding amount of memory, and that's simply not going to happen.

Finally, there IS a way of seeing new posts.

Look above the message window area to the blue bar. Look in the center bottom row and find "New Posts."

Mike Irwin said:
Finally, there IS a way of seeing new posts.

Look above the message window area to the blue bar. Look in the center bottom row and find "New Posts."
I use that on sites where I'm a moderator or administrator, because I need to keep tabs on all active discussion areas. On this site, I typically visit only five areas -- the three handgun areas, general discussion, and legal & politics. It doesn't helpme at all to see a list of ALL new posts and then have to sort through them to see which are in the areas I care about.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see this change as a benefit.

"It doesn't helpme at all to see a list of ALL new posts and then have to sort through them to see which are in the areas I care about."

Well, as the great Buddha said, the first noble truth is that existence is suffering.

Back