What happened to Remington yellow jacket 22 ammo

coyotewsm

I remember having some of this a long time ago and was impressed with how deep the hollow point was. I was checking around the other day to try and find some but it seems non existent. Where did this ammo go to?

Most manufacturers are having trouble keeping up with demand for 22LR ammo, so they are less likely to produce the economy or specialty products. They typically run those products just to keep the lines running, and that is not currently an issue.

Even with the demand the Remington .22 cal ammo sucks. Won't feed, cases bend when loading magazines. My Ruger 10-22can't shoot it and it eats about anything I've got 1500 rounds I can't get rid of fast enough. I think Remington applied their new management and design process as they did on the R51, Para 1911s, 700 rifles, etc.

...Remington .22 cal ammo sucks. Won't feed, cases bend when loading magazines.

C'mon. Remington has produced kajillions of .22 rounds over the last several decades. If their .22 rf ammunition is anywhere near as bad as what you allege it to be, they'd have long since been out of business. :rolleyes:

Remington makes good ammo

Even with the demand the Remington .22 cal ammo sucks. Won't feed, cases bend when loading magazines
I think you are referring to "some" of the thunder-bolts and certainly not the Yellow-Jackets. The Yellow-Jacket are awesome and have actually become collectable. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

C'mon. Remington has produced kajillions of .22 rounds over the last several decades. If their .22 rf ammunition is anywhere near as bad as what you allege it to be, they'd have long since been out of business.

Remington did make excellent high quality ammo, rifles and pistols for many decades but in the last 10 to 15 years their quality, designs and customer service has greatly suffered. Read some reviews, honest reviews, and you will see what people are talking about. The R51 reissue of an older very successful Remington pistol was a dismal failure due to just plain ignorance, greed and stupidity. The same for the 700 series rifles. Once a Remington 700 was a quality rifle any hunter would be proud to own. Not any more. They recently recalled them for unsafe triggers, etc. Do some checking on your own.

Don't forget Remington's lousy, unsafe triggers that they resisted recalling for over 40 years. They finally recalled them after a kazillion lawsuits they lost. Their Quality control still sucks, look at a new "Marlin"...I mean Remlin.

You lose something worthwhile when you make allegations that all of everything about any one company is terrible, ignorant, greedy, lousy, etc., etc. What you lose is credibility...

You lose something worthwhile when you make allegations that all of everything about any one company is terrible, ignorant, greedy, lousy, etc., etc. What you lose is credibility...

I never said all or everything. I gave very specific examples that are well documented. If you are going to quote me I suggest you actually quote me instead of making up you own statements and then attributing them to me.If you think the R51 was a success the I ask, why were they all recalled and then reissued after over a year with problems still existing?

It seems that even with the verifiable and documented quality issues Remington has created you are still a strong Remington supporter. That's great and I hope you enjoy your Remington products. For me, I prefer safe reliable products that perform as promised.

I will say that I swore off of Remington products several years ago. In a moment of weakness I did buy a R1 Enhanced 1911 in 9mm. How did that work out? Well, the pistol had numerous failures to feed right out of the box. I tried several types of ammo and magazines with the same results. On inspection, I found that the pistol came with a loose ejector. The cause was the retaining roll pin was too short and backed out letting the ejector fall out. I called Remington and they sent me a new ejector and in for me to install. I noticed that Remington had installed a 45 ejector not a 9mm ejector on my 9mm. The new one was a 9mm. Took the gun to the range and still had FTF. I noticed that the recoil spring was a flat wire. Remington 45 1911 models come with a flat recoil spring. The 9mm pistols are supposed to come with a round wire recoil spring. The spring weight was 18#. I ordered a 10# spring and guide rod and installed them. Now the pistol runs great and I really like it. The moral of the story is you can't trust a company that on a regular bases misses even the most basic product quality steps.

I have not had good performance from Remington .22 Ammo. I will no longer buy it and have refused gifts of Remington 'Goldies'.

The only new(ish) production Remington rim fire ammo I've used is Yellow Jackets and C-Bees(similar bullet profile, significantly different velocities) and I've had nothing less than excellent results with both.

Yellow Jackets(being friggin' fabulous stuff if your rifle will shoot 'em. Like any .22 ammo you have to try a box to find out.), will go right through a steel pot helmet at 100 yards. Bunch of the guys got playing, up here, when the hypervelocity ammo first came out 35 plus years ago.
Anyway, Remington shows 'em on their site. Midway says they've been discontinued. Production may have been cut to concentrate on other stuff.

The only Remington .22 I've seen the past year has been Subsonic stuff, Golden Bullet, .22 Shorts, and bricks of general bulk .22 ammo. Haven't seen Yellow Jackets for a while myself, which is sad because it's the best .22 LR that Remington makes.

My advice is if you're looking for the hypervelocity .22, get CCI Stinger or Velocitor. Then if you can't find those, Aguila Interceptor.

Quote:
Quote:
I never said all or everything.
Quote:
The moral of the story is you can't trust a company that on a regular bases misses even the most basic product quality steps.

Sounds like "pretty much all or everything" to me.

...It seems that even with the verifiable and documented quality issues Remington has created you are still a strong Remington supporter. That's great and I hope you enjoy your Remington products...

At last count, I currently own over fifty firearms, of which two are Remingtons: a fifties era Model 760 rifle that I received from my grandfather back in the late sixties and a Model 504 rifle that I bought a few years ago. So, no, I'm not basing my opinions on a fan base membership; just pointing out that blanket condemnations are rarely fair and minimally accurate and only serve to betray a level of unmerited hostility.
So you bought a Remington product that didn't live up to your expectations-get over it. All Remington firearms aren't "terrible" and all Remington .22 ammunition doesn't "suck" just because you were unlucky enough to be a recipient of one or two of their "lemons". Those are just facts. Every company occasionally has its ups and downs. When you lose credibility, sometimes it takes a while to get it back...

Last edited:
How about we talk about Yellow Jackets, and not Remington's reputation?
This isn't the place for that.

The bottom line is that Remington can't keep up with demand for most ammunition products, and the Yellow Jacket .22 LR load is a specialty load. As such, it isn't justifiable to shut down production of their bread and butter, in order to kick out a niche product.

Whether or not THAT is a greedy decision is debatable, since many other manufacturers are finding the time to make plenty of their low-demand or niche products.

Minorcan.

I don't believe Remington is as bad as you say. I know many people that still buy their rifles and have good success with them. With that being said I probably would buy any of their rifles that they currently have. I own a model 597 and I inherited my grandfather's model 1100. Both great firearms the only thing I would say bad about the 597 is that it doesn't always like to feed low velocity ammo. I have experienced golden they seem to have quite a few duds in the box. Last weekend I had a corelokts fail to fire out of my 30-30 thats the extent of my bad experiences.

Truth tellers

I'm aware of stingers I have some in the gun cabinet it doesn't shoot well out of my rifle. I normally shoot mini mags they group pretty well. I have never tried the yellow jackets out of the rifle I currently have but I would like to try them and as I stated in the OP I remember how deep the hollow is in them.

coyotewsm, I have used Remington "Yellow Jackets" on squirrels in the past and can report that those deep cavities do expand well when you can't get a head shot and have to rely on a shoulder hit. But I really don't know how they compare with other HP configured bullets.

A time and place for Yellow-jackets

I have used Remington "Yellow Jackets" on squirrels in the past and can report that those deep cavities do expand well when you can't get a head shot and have to rely on a shoulder hit.
I stopped using Yellow-Jackets to hunting squirrels after one season. Just too much damage, so I saved then for bigger game. Finally got to a point where an ammo collector made me an offer, on a brick that I couldn't resist. Went back to my CCI's and Super-X. Now then, there are Yellow-Jackets that have the stamping on the base and distinctive bullet and then that are some that just have the stamping on the base, with a standard lead bullet. ..... :confused:

I generally have had more problems with bulk pack federals than Remingtons but again, I digress. ...... :mad:

Be Safe !!!!

Has the original poster's question been answered? Midway doesn't really show them as discontinued. Midway just doesn't show the yellow jackets in the on-line catalog. Matter of fact, midway only shows 3 remington long rifle products, while the remington web site shows 13 rimfire products. That seems to imply that, due to current manufacturing constraints, remington is not making all the rimfire products, but that's not the same thing as being discontinued...at least in my mind. I did look at rimfire central, and there's a current thread about this, but it doesn't provide a definitive answer, either.

I'm pretty sure yellow jackets were produced in 2013, because a commemorative yellow jacket, model 597 was made that year. It has a yellow and black laminated stock. I think I remember seeing boxes of yellow jackets being available with the commemorative rifle when I bought one (and thinking , "I should buy some commemorative ammo, too"), but, like an idiot, didn't buy any matching yellow jackets with my 597 rifle.

I have shot a lot of Remington 22LR, along with other brands, over many years, starting in the early 1970's. My impression is that all rimfire ammo was better in the '70's than it is now. (But then, "everything", was better in the '70's, especially me....;)) Over just the last two decades, I have learned from shooting rimfire ammo, that quality varies from lot to lot. I bought a brick of Peters 22LR that was just outstanding in every way. Yet subsequent purchases of that brand were less praiseworthy. I bought some boxes of Yellowjacket ammo that turned out to be the worst ammo I've ever bought, with somewhat over 20% misfires, most of which failed to fire on repeated attempts. I all but swore I wouldn't buy anymore of it. But, in The Great Shortage, I ran into some more of it, and you know how that goes; you take what you can get. Expecting the worst from it, it turned out to be just fine. Remington's Golden Bullet used to be the flagship of the line in their rimfire ammo, and they were justifiably proud of it back in the day. I believe that the profileration of hyper-velocity offerings has perhaps lead to management decisions to relegate what was once their best ammo, to a lower status. Having a well functioning quality-control system, should mean that when a production line begins to produce defective products, the line gets shut down until the problem is corrected. Decisions on how much a product is allowed to vary from the standard before the line is shut down and overhauled, could mean that you get some pretty lousy ammo that shouldn't have left the factory. At best, it's not good for the products reputation. At worst, someone get's killed or maimed and there is a huge lawsuit. I think, with rimfire ammo, there is less of a risk for the worst-case-scenario, than with centerfire. Remember, that production line is making a lot of money as long as it keeps running. Overhauling it costs time, and thus money. I want to get my money's worth out of my tires, so I don't replace them until I have to. Same thing. I think that Remington needs to decide to empower their quality-control department better than they used to. I also think that Winchester, Federal, and CCI, generally all make better 22LR products than Remington. Remington can make excellent ammo, and they have..... they just need to do a better job of keeping the defects from leaving their house.

Back